Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Set about putting some wax oil in this front end. Purchased a clear coat spray for the areas that previously had it, top of chassis legs etc. Slightly cream looking when on, but it is extra protection. I was impressed with the can as it even came with a thin extension hose if needed and cost less than a tenner.
    I had some old BLACK waxoyl in a tin so have used that in the inner legs and areas. As usual I made a hell of a mess with it, even getting it on my nice paint job....
    Staring to slowly put things back together. It's a marathon not a sprint I tell myself

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Really looking great, lovely and shiny and new :thumbup:

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I purchased a motaquip ( who ) water pump off of ebay and am actually impressed with the build quality and it only cost £28, came with 2 seals and more importantly has a metal impeller. Ignore the black fixing bolts and t-bolt, they didnt come with it. Surprisingly seems like a decent purchase

Attached Files:

4. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Also I have the gearbox back. They had my pants down on it costing £200 more (w##kers) and painted it when i said i didnt want it doing.... WTF
    So I have spent time removing and painting all the bolts and refittting/torquing them back up. Hopefully it looks better now and will work when fitted

Attached Files:

Zender Z20 likes this.
  5. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Now that I'm bit more proficient with the spanners and like you say quality pumps are so cheap, plan is to make it a service item along with the coolant at its change intervals.

All looking really good, great work - keep us all posted as you go along with plenty of pics... haven't got to the bottom of my own gear shift problems, though not realy tried too hard if I'm honest, lost a lot of interest lately!

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Got some parts back from being aquablasted. Always nice to have something returned nice and shiny looking. I will probably lacquer them so that they last for longer looking this way.
    Just need the engine back so that I can paint it.
    Also the powder coater seems too busy to get my subframe and bits done, so I shall just have to be patient

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Zender Z20 and dodgy like this.
  7. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Really coming together now, great to see.

The aquablasting looks to get amazing results, you must be well pleased.

8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Okay help needed. I've split the front hubs down and I believe I am left with a bearing sleeve still fixed to it after pressing it out.
    How the hell do i get this off and is this normal. Same on the other side1

Attached Files:

9. stephen stanyer Forum Member

No not normal but does happen. Not sure if there is a better way but I would try a metal cutting disc in an angle grinder carefully cut the bearing and then split it with a chisel.

10. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Sorted the above, cleaned them up and they are waiting for new skf bearings before going back in.
    Managed to buy a NOS steering boot for my early car from a guy in Belgium.
    Lastly I got the throttle body back from the aquablasting guy. £20 to make it look nice, but took me all day and 75 attempts to put it back together so that I was happy with it. Justt got to hope it is correct!! 20220904_115839.jpg

Zender Z20 and dodgy like this.
  11. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

And this was how the throttle body looked.
    20220809_193509.jpg

12. stephen stanyer Forum Member

That is one hell of a transformation it now looks new.

13. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks. Unfortunately the path of true love never runs smooth with a restoration. I dont know what made me blow down all of the pipe connections to check they were okay, but the pipe next to the fifth injector was totally blocked. I managed to clean about 50mm out and it is the blasting media. After removing the throttle body I could see that there is an inside casting running along the top of the inside. What a bitch that has been to clear out. So an extra 2 hrs to be back to where I was earlier , crazy ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  14. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

A few more pieces of the jigsaw back together

Attached Files:

PhilRyder and Zender Z20 like this.
  15. Matt Golf Forum Member

Liking your work. Good stuff.

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

with the manual rack boot, make sure its the right type to suit your steering rack. D/E part number is for late type rack with the big metal cup sat around the UJ spline. As yours is 86 chances are you need the early rack boot 192419523B, or source the pot 191419193A -> 357419193, seal 171419329A and 2 M6x20 bolts N 10124408 to match the late boot you have

17. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks rubjonny. It was confusing the hell out of me trying to understand which one I needed. Typical, I chose wrong. Sourcing the other parts sounds even more interesting.
    Bloody car

18. rubjonny

check the rack first, it might not be the original. just thought it was worth saying as people have been caught out before

19. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

This is my rack 192419105. Cant see any markings on the cup unfortunately
    It was absolutely covered in grime and grease before it got a good clean, so I was assuming it was original, maybe
    20220907_184006.jpg

20. rubjonny

think thats the late cup there so you should be fine, not sure what the early rack actually looks like :lol:

pop it on subframe and offer it up quick, be obvious if its right or not anyway