Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

The engine.... I finished early on Friday so that I was able to collect it. It was still in 2 halves, the cylinder head is still dirty, so can't have been through the degreaser before its refit and it looks like a blind man painted it. The guy couldn't find the invoice so I don't even know what has been done apart from a set of gaskets and head bolts are with it.
    The man i need to speak to is back in on Tuesday .....
    But, the FAG wheel bearings were easy to fit and are so smooth. The skf ones were not to my liking so I am glad I did swap them out.
    I even had a go at trying to remove the studs in the exhaust manifold, yet only managed to get 2 out. and to ruin the threads on what is left. No idea what to do with those pigs.
    And I need to force the pistons out of my front brake calipers but couldn't sort that either. Hopefully tomorrow at work I may find an airline
    I will have to settle with having the front hubs back together and take that as my days achievement.
    The daily Passat had her MOT today so perhaps that was putting me off. £280 later.....

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  2. John A Forum Member

Just did my exhaust manifold bolts some one suggested using 2 nuts the tighten them together then start to undo one and it should move the bolt.. or another suggestion given to me recently on here is to weld a nut on the end and remove.. very helpful people on here

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

give them some heat and try again, worst case drill and re-tap

Cressa likes this.
  4. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

The piston removal revealed a very dirty mess inside

Attached Files:

5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Which way do the front brake shield covers face? The bendy lip over the disc or away?

6. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Sticky outy for me, but could be wrong!

front+brakes1-640w.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks mate. That's what I thought, yet it seems natural that the lip would cover the disc. Glad I checked.

8. Zender Z20

T'other way 'bout at the back...

2-356e8c6b-640w.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Ha ha, thanks.
    Today I got to put some parts back on the engine. A 1st for me was fitting a cylinder head to a block , never done that before so slightly rewarding. I have set No1 piston at TDC and the camshaft pulley mark to the cylinder head top so hopefully I can't go wrong from that.
    All is going well apart from I have snapped a new genuine VW temp sender by tightening it way tooo much. I think it is the one I got from classic parts in Germany too
    I am still trying to work out the metal cam cover bracket that fits to the side of the block. Hopefully with the water pump on tomorrow it may help me understand it better.
    If anyone notices I have something incorrect at anytime please shout up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    Zender Z20 and erreesse like this.
  10. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Tomorrow I shall attempt to swap the cam belt tensioner stud, yet cant seem to find a torque value for it.
    But this is how I left it tonight.

20221022_183741.jpg

erreesse and Zender Z20 like this.
  11. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

After reading about the injectors that 'grey goose' had written, I watched his you tube clip and decided I needed to remove the injector brass sleeves and parts. Damn the were tight and the plastic caps in the cylinder head would not come out. Sooooo brittle that I had to chisel them into pieces whilst having the port below blocked. Ball ache.
    He was true in saying that 30 year old rubber parts would be no good. I'm not going for the topran seals that seem to be available everywhere, so classic parts to the rescue i hope. For the plastic caps and seals and the injector basket seals. Many months ago I purchased the injector top seals naively thinking this was all I would need after an injector refurbishment. So Fitted these anyway. They are certainly a lighter colour green than the old ones

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  12. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I have the parts from Classic so I can get on with the injectors. When I do I shall post up a picture and the invoice.
    I had a couple of hours today, so set about fitting the clutch. I have never done one before. I think it has gone okay and I have done a trial line up of the flywheel.
    So just to confirm timing
    Camshaft notch is at the cylinder head
    Crank and intermediate pulley line up with their Mark's next to each other
    I removed no1 plug to check the piston is UP
    No distributor yet.....
    And on fitting the flywheel the Notch is uppermost as if viewed through the gearbox hole

Have I missed anything? I have read that many threads my brain is like spaghetti and now is the time that I can change things
    Also a pic of the old clutch thickness

Attached Files:

erreesse and Zender Z20 like this.
  13. Zender Z20

I was like you and had never done one before, was expecting it to be a major job but if you ignore me having a dodgy clutch plate it was all very straightforward.

All a bit blurry now, 6 months later on but if you follow BentIey you shouldn't go far wrong. One thing I do remember is the distrubutor took a bit of fiddling to get exactly right, might not be able to set everything else up if it's not in place at the same time... then again might be talking out my a**e!

Great progress, looking forward to how you get on with the injection, got that one ahead of me with the MK1.

14. vdubmkIIgolfgti New Member

15. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Oooo what corrado do you have? I went to hobbycraft and bought some felt sheets for a pound each. Stuck them on with spray carpet adhesive and trimmed to fit. Worked fine on this golf and my Corrado.
    Yes it's a pain but soothing when you put it all back together

16. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

After a tantrumming week the engine and gearbox is finally back together and in the car. I hired an engine hoist and thought I could just lower it all onto the mounts, silly me. It's too bloody long, so a quick removal of the front support panel and in she slid.. ooerr
    That seemed easy. Received my injector parts from VW classic and managed to get the inserts fitted with the help of a new 13mm allenkey to my collection. It is nice to have new genuine parts that I wont be worrying about drying out or fitting correctly
    I dont want to fit the actual injectors until I have had time with the metering head and can check the flow rate of them.
    My brain has turned to refurbishing thr distributor, sourcing a decent starter motor upgrade replacement and the driveshafts...
    I have a Bosch distributor and wont be buying a new Bosch item. Companies will rebuild this one for up to 150, yet I could buy a new replacement for less. Undecided here.
    I also managed to source a replacement exhaust manifold for a tenner, as I could not get the old knackered studs out and it apparently had a crack in it. A mechanic welded it for me but it looked horrendous
    I used a holts penetration fluid from ECP which I hadn't seen before and managed to get the studs out of this replacement manifold. The only cost was one bruised finger and nail

Attached Files:

erreesse and PhilRyder like this.
  17. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Managed to fit the gearbox selector parts and align it all up. The Ebay gearbox tool is a great help as they all seem to select ok. I wont know for a long time yet though. Pics below of refurbished and fitted against the dirty old set up that she was wearing. She has come a long way, I just hope it all works one day

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  18. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

You obviously haven't heard of using an old tape cassette for aligning the gear selector. It works a treat ;)

19. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I didnt want to spoil an old Pet Shop Boys cassette or the KLF one that I found

AndyBa likes this.
  20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

or leave pinch bolt slightly loose, put in gear, wiggle stick till it feels right, try all gears, repeat. I found this one out by accident during a drive shortly after adjusting one time :lol: