Harness bar

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by johnnyfication, Aug 12, 2016.

1. johnnyfication Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys, I have recently bought a mk2 Scirocco which has a safety devices roll cage, fixed back seat and a 4 point harness fitted.
    The harness is currently bolted to the factory rear seat belt mounts, however as you probably know ( or realize ), it is above the 45 degree permitted angle and as such I require a harness bar.
    Where would the best place to mount the bar?
    Roc.jpg
    The two strips of blue tape are where I can think, but I would sooner take your guys advice. The upper piece of tape is mounted to the bottom of the cage just above the rear mainstays.

Thanks for your help,
    Jon

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Are you required to comply with any competition regulations ?

Weld the `bar` in the upper location then either wrap the belts around it or weld threaded inserts into the `bar` for the `eye bolts`

e.g.

[​IMG]

There is a wealth of information on cage and harness mounts elsewhere on the forum ...

johnnyfication likes this.
  3. johnnyfication Paid Member Paid Member

I'm not required to comply with any regulations as i'm only using the car mainly for trackdays and some road use.

Thanks for your advise

4. Notso Swift Forum Member

Of those two the top one, but ideally about level with the bottom of the holes on the seat. Shorter straps are better and also the higher mount works better for HANS devices
    It isn't like you are trying to put anyone in the back
    That said: My car has it in the same place as jamesa above, just near the strut towers as part of the cage

5. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

The top one is better. Not only is it a higher position for the harness bar, more importantly, it ties in the the existing cage mounts

6. The ANT Forum Member

Ideally the straps want to be level, to prevent then trying to squash your back in an accident

7. Notso Swift Forum Member

Well I went to look at my car yesterday (it is getting some work done and has been away for 10 months with the guy to get some door intrusion bars done, connect the front cage to the strut towers, new underhung pedal box and new seat mounting... and now he is only just about to start...)
    And what do you know, I practice what I preach, I have the lower brace between the strut towers... but I also have a harness bar and it is level, completely forgotten I had this on this car