Has anyone fitted their Quaife quick rack yet?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by timotei1980, Jan 7, 2015.

1. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Doing the final fitting of mine into the car when I thought 'lets try lock to lock' only to hear (and feel) a knock at the end at almost left full right hand lock. Pin pointed the problem to when the steering arm ball joint enters the housing as per the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFEIs_Jr0C0&feature=youtu.be

This is the end closest to the pinion. the tension adjuster is pushing the rack forwards to where it touches but with the adjuster removed (so under no tension) it still knocks.

I set the dimensions to exactly what they were on the old rack so can not see why I have the problem. Am I missing something obvious here before I remove it again?

Thanks.
    Tim.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Measurement required please!

Can somebody please measure the quick rack pinion nose for me please as in the red square below?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Bearing in mind that I based my rack rebuild on a genuine rack housing which also has a smaller bearing than the reproduced racks, I have a feeling the pinion nose diameter might be different as well.

Cheers

3. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Racks apart again and the pinion noses are the same diameter from a genuine VW to the Quaife.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  4. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

I refitted the original rack into the housing and the is no clearance problems.

Upon a quick measure it looks like the teeth are cut deeper on the quaife which leads to the rack being of centre in the housing when fitted. Will measure more accurately once i turn up a little jig on the lathe to hold it in place.

5. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Difference in size between Quaife and Gen VW pinions found

Measured the rack and pinions more accurately and you can see why I have interference between the tie rod ball joint and housing with the Quaife rack fitted.

When the pinion and rack are placed together with the teeth fully intermeshed the centres between the pinion and rack are smaller on the Quaife, therefore locating it off centre within the housing.

Pics below show the difference:

If they were the same dimensions then the pinions should be horizontal with the desk.
    [​IMG]

Quaife centre approx. 21mm
    [​IMG]

Std centre approx. 30mm
    [​IMG]

As previously stated I have based my conversion on a genuine VW rack housing where as it looks like Quaife have based there kit on reproduction racks so that maybe the problem. Only thing is I don't want to spend 60ish to find out its still wrong.

6. G28OPN Forum Member

Only just spotted this thread mate. It does seem that Quaife based their kit on an aftermarket rack. I bought a Meyle rack, off ebay, and the kit fitted perfectly. No modifications were need atall.
    If I remember correctly, Craig sent Quaife a rack for them to use, to base their kit on. So it might be the case that he unknowingly sent them an aftermarket rack.

Just to add, I dont have any measurements, but I did post some pics up in my project g28opn thread. Other members have also posted pics up which are more detailed than mine.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    Richard Mk2 likes this.
  7. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the info.
    Looks like I'll just have to order a Meyle rack.

Cheers.
    Tim.

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Interestingly (thread revival!!) I have attempted tonight to fit the new quaiffe 35mm OD ball bearing into a casing with an ID of 32mm. There isn't a 32/18/8mm bearing available, so I will have to bore out the casing or find another mk2 donor rack
    Anybody been here????
    Jon

9. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

As above it seems the rack has to be an aftermarket Meyle.

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

think so, or get the 35mm milling cutter into action!
    I have nothing to lose so will probably have a go anyway, while looking for another rack or two
    Jon

11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

new meyle ones 50 quid delivered, ebay, sorted
    Jon

12. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Interesting as the MK1 is the total opposite, genuine rack only for a Quaife kit! Worth knowing.

13. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

It comes from Craig supplying Quaife with a Meyle one for the group buy [:s]
    So Quaife made our Mk2 RHD quick racks to fit the Meyle one supplied not original VW ones [8(]

14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Offering it up to an Ibiza rack the four mounting points to the lower subframe match up but the pinion angle is a good 15 degrees different, so we will have to see if a mk2 rack is the way to go
    Jon

Dave R likes this.
  15. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I've had mine fitted for ages now with no issues. It has to be a meyle rack though which I (by pure luck) bought new to fit the quaife internals. As I've said before though, it's bloody heavy!

16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Anybody else used a mk2 rack in an Ibiza?
    Jon

17. mayor west Forum Member

Sorry to thread jack and i will start my own thread about this...

I'm having some quick racks made to work with the Genuine VW housing so if anyone would be interested please get in touch :)

18. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

mk2 meyle/quaife rack now fully fitted, with corsa eps
    Jon
    have a spare vw rack, so assuming the 'quick' ratio is good, the quality is equivalent to quaife minimum and it can be delivered to suit the timescales of my next project the mayors rack sounds good

19. Craigcorson

Craigcorson Forum Member

Sorry I've just read this thread

Hope you got it all sorted Timotei

The quick rack thing didnt turn out as easy as I had hoped but hope everybody has them sorted now...

20. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

If anybody bought one and not used it and wants to free up some cash, pm me. I need another one.
    Jon