Head scratcher

Discussion in '8-valve' started by I'mMarkTwoToo, Dec 1, 2018.

1. shane d Forum Member

Is same relay for both pumps?

2. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

Err.......you got me there mate, I don't know. I now think the problem seems to be ignition barrel related. If I turn the key as you normally would, it sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't. But if I turn the key with a bit more force, not significantly but just a bit more aggressively than normal it seems to solve the problem. I can't though seem to be able to remove the plastic two part surround from around the steering column. Do you know if it just pulls apart, I can't see any actual fixings.

3. shane d Forum Member

There are little screws up from underneath. Once removed the bottom drops down and the top can be taken off with a bit of manipulation.

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

It's the 167 relay that controls the fuel pump not the ECU relay.

To test the ignition switch check power with a voltmeter on fuse no 15 (10a)

(assuming you have CE2 fusebox)

Handy page http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MK3 GTI #30 relay is the replacement for 32, these are both ignition trigger type. 109 relay wont work in a digifant as it needs to be triggered by an earth signal from the ECU. part number for the 30 relay is 165906381 and according to ETKA is still available at 18.04+VAT