Headlight resistor of “doom”

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Rustbuster, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

I guys,
    So as I look to upgrade loom and put nightbreakers in headlights I’m looking for the infamous resistor and can’t find it. From memory it should be on the right side chassis leg but it’s not there on mine. It’s a type19 GTI 1984 model could mine have escaped due to it being a fairly early one?

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

RJ / Tristan may be the best one's to answer re: Early model but I thought all of them had it, it should be on the front right side if it's there - may have been binned already which hopefully is the case.

3. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Polo mints looks like

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

If it's not obvious, it probably already got the bin, as Simon Peter said, it's the size almost of a pack of polo mints.

Turn on the sidelights, turn on the ignition then, and see if the sidelights look brighter.. If you have the flammable polo mint pack, the headlamp bulb will be glowing faintly.

5. Rustbuster

Nah, I don’t think it’s there guys. No sign of any abandoned wiring nor the little spring clip it’s mounted on, not even holes where the spring clip would have previously been riveted to the chassis leg. And with the side lights out of the main headlight unit no sign of a glow from the main H4 bulbs with ignition on. I don’t think it was ever there. Thanks guys for your input.
    The upgraded looms vary quite a bit in price on eBay. Heritage have a set for £44 as opposed to a set going for £9. Sorely tempted to go for the cheap option but fear it may be a false economy. Vowed so many times not to buy anymore cheap sh*# but still fall for it every time. Any thoughts folks.?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  6. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It’s some cable and a relay of two, I’d go mid range.

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I always built my own, with fused relays, everything water tight etc. It cost me more than 44 quid! But all still working years later.

8. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Making your own is so much more satisfying. You get exactly what you want and it's cheaper too.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

think it was around 86 it came in, somewhere about then. so 84 wouldnt have it

10. Rustbuster

Thanks gents.
    I got an itchy trigger finger last night on ebay and ordered the one for £9 out of curiosity more than anything. As savagesam advised I would have gone mid-range but it looked exactly the same as the cheapo one so couldn’t justify it to myself.
    So, when I fit them I’ll do a voltage check at the battery then at the bulbs, both before and after fitting then I’ll post results so we’ll see what that yields.

11. Rustbuster

I’ve got the £9 headlight upgrade loom. Also bought a far better quality one from a private seller on eBay. I will post those voltage readings promised from both just a soon as I can. At the moment I’ve got the interior stripped back and doing some rear arch replacements at the but haven’t forgotten.

Tristan likes this.