Heat soak maybe.

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by mk2 nas, Apr 12, 2021.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hi as title my 1.8 golf driver auto seems to start normally cold.however first trip out Saturday after 9 months of putting back on the road major disappointment getting stuck on my mates driveway.after multiple attempts of slow turning luckily got it started and went home.ive read up about the heat soak.ive looked and the heatshield is in place.i did clean up earths
    Also.too early to tell if this was the issue but if there is a relay mod I'd rather do it.
    But can someone tell me how to do in the easiest instruction poss.as I hate these sort of things.thanks.car is a 1991.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

next time it does this, run a wire from battery live direct to the spade on starter motor. if it still wont crank, you need a starter motor or the main battery wiring to it is bad. to rule that out put a jump lead from battery live to 13mm nut stud on starter, try again. if it cranks, main live is bad. if still nothing jumper from negative to one of the bolts holding starter on. if it cranks, earth is bad. if not, starter is bad.

if jumping the solenoid gets it cranking over nice, plug the original red/black wire spade back in and go to the ignition switch plug. loop a wire from red to red/black and if it cranks over nice, you need a new ignition switch. if not, then you have an issue on the harness between switch and engine bay and/or you may want to do the relay mod

3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok thanks try the above.
    Is it a case of when starter wont crank hot
    Can it be the wiring when hot cant supply the
    Power needed as the cables could be breaking down internally.
    If I was to guess I'd say the problem is engine bay side.stuff like this doesn't normally bother me to sort out but my enthusiasm to sort this out diminished quite quick when I discovered where the starter is.
    What a design lol.

4. rubjonny

yeah next time its not cranking try all of the above. the tests are designed to help you work out if its the starter, ignition switch, ignition wiring or battery cabling at fault :)

i suppose you could start your test by looping a wire on ignition switch instead of trying to jump the starter

5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

I hope it's not ignition switch.i had all that out 3 months ago to do column bearing.
    I might have to do it upside down in footwell.lol.

6. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Took an quick pic while having a look under neath.is there meant to be anything on these
    Threaded lugs on starter.all I can see is the red/black plug and main power lead.

Attached Files:

7. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

8. rubjonny

all you need is the fat live from battery and spade from ignition switch. the lugs might be for attaching the heat shield? though squiting I think I can see it up top so they're just unused or the starter is a generic aftermarket part suitable for several models

9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Latest on the problem of starting the golf.
    Cleaned up earth connections engine main one to chassis.changed starter motor for a new one.cleaned big main live to starter and the spade connector from ignition.started in almost every turn buf did have a moment again where it seemed to briefly stick and not want to turn.only did it once but when it does turn spi s quicker than before.still think theres an issue somewhere with something.
    Think the chance of getting stranded is less than before but still seems it gonna give me occasional trouble.hoping it was a one off but I'm not that lucky. next plan is cheap just gonna change earth straps&heavy power lead to starter.then everything is new bay side if problem persists then must be something else.just keep throwing money at it until I'm sure it's gone lol.also fitted a brand new weber 32/36.manual choke conversion and Bosch s4 battery.starts quick when catches.near spot on just this little starter issue still. 20210422_203229.jpg 20210422_203220.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Next time it's acting up, have jump leads with you. Make an external earth with the leads, from the battery negative to the body of the starter. That'll rule out a bad earth.

mk2 nas likes this.