Heated Windscreen

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by PhilRyder, Jan 11, 2022.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Quite fancy a heated windscreen but I can only find one place that supplies them which is heatedwindscreen.com. It comes in at £315 with shipping which seems like an awful lot. Anyone know of any alternative suppliers?

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Standard screen for the polo was about £220 most places, (got a deal and paid a lot less admittedly), so the £315 sounds reasonable for quite a niche product Phil, an mgb one is same price from moss.

Presume it's a quick clear type like Ford made, miss that from my old focus.

3. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

.......and don't forget the cost of fitting and wiring it up.
    I've got one fitted. Yet to use it tho!
    One minor disappointment with the Ricky Evans screen for me was the black edging not being completely covered by the screen seal.
    I've been reading up about PTC heater modules that fit later VAG models. They are an electrical element that slides into the heater box. Not sure if the MK2 heater box could be modded to fit one tho? That could be cheaper.
    https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-ptc-auxiliary-heater-install.106960/

edit....would you need one living in Surrey? [:D]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  4. dodgy

Just looked them up, I think I'd see if they fit them and go on a nice grand tour to Staffordshire.

5. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

I've been trying to source a heated screen for the RWD scirocco as not running a heater or anything...

Did come across one company that could make up a heated screen for most cars, mk2 scirocco was around 400 quid iirc, cheaper for bulk buys if there was a group buy going, i'll try find the company again and report back.

My plan for the wiring was just to run it off the rear screen demister wires but re route them to the front screen, as im hoping to run a plastic rear window, then it should all just work off the rear screen switch

Vinnie likes this.
  6. dodgy

Have you seen price of rear screens, on ebay, just for comparison (or a laugh).

We had some curved glass made up for some display cases about 20 years ago, not huge probably 300x900mm, they were £350 then, minimum order of ten.

7. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Well, to put a bit of context around this …… a new front screen from Heritage is £82 so if these are being made to that price it seems a stretch to ask that much more for a heated one (I will concede the postage is an appalling £50!!). If we were to get one it would be fitted as part of a respray so no extra cost, in theory. It’s the first part I have found for the Golf that more than the equivalent Porsche part which is a bit of a shocker, true there may be less Mk2s knocking about than the equivalent era Porsche (also a shocker ;)).
    And @AndyBa it does get mildly chilly down Sowf here, occasionally :lol:
    There may be a case for collection, grand tour of the (chilly) north, visit number one daughter in Manchester and some bloke I know near Halifax.

8. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

If you want one you are best contacting them since like Dodgy says they will only stock if they have an orders - I think a min of 10.
    Prob worth a group buy if enough interest?

9. dodgy

One of the suppliers mentioned a lead time on heated screens of One to 6 months so presumably it's order depending.

Aye is a bit nippy up north, extremely iffy around Halifax, this is our normal summer day here. 20210202_072028.jpg

Reckon your golf just needs a big coat.

AndyBa and PhilRyder like this.
  10. jdmoyers New Member

I had one in mine before I took it off the road. If you're using the car to get about in winter I'd say it's money worth spending. No more head out of the window trying to see where you're going whilst the car takes its time to warming up.

I was heartbroken when it got cracked by a stonechip, so I went and bought another one, ready to go in when the car is painted... Whenever that will be

PhilRyder likes this.
  11. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

For the record one of these timer relay triggers the relays connected to the screen, not done by me!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362649435192?hash=item546f973c38:g:QtoAAOSwDvNc3CA2

I dismantled a MK2 rear screen switch, removed the toggle mech and inserted an old pen spring to make it into a momentary switch. Funnily enough there is a plastic 'pin' on the back of the switch face which locates the spring!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  12. dodgy

Peugeot relay possibly?

13. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

..I would be up to join the line for one of the screens [:D]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022