Heater blowing cold not hot - matrix cleanse and air flaps foam refurb guide

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by geneticmaterial, Mar 6, 2013.

1. neil kaye Forum Junkie

:thumbup:

2. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I did the same with mine a few years back but I wrapped mine in gaffer tape instead of foam. No chance of the foam falling apart again because there isn't any!

3. geneticmaterial

geneticmaterial Forum Member

Yeah!
    You can use basically anything here.
    Be careful of the top and bottom of the flaps as they are very close to the outer casing so over wrapping the flaps with something can cause them to scrape and it can be one difficult for the cables to operate efficiently.

4. geneticmaterial

geneticmaterial Forum Member

Right, I've refitted it and it's AWESOME! Works an absolute treat :)

Getting the unit back in is a godawful task. I hadn't removed the 'upper' ducting which made it harder.

I finally got in it by getting the matrix pipes lined up towards the bulkhead, then the top bolt into the top hole and it finally slipped onto the upper ducting and then the bottom bolt slotted in.

The "3rd" cable on the side which controls the little flap was really difficult to get on once in position, just due to the lack of space down near the pedals.

But I got there in the end.
    Felling that HOT air is such a reward.
    Especially today with the snow and -'C temps!
    :thumbup:

5. Cheg

Cheg Forum Member

Did mine and Bruce t's flaps last weekend, bloody lovely having hot air again, and its all going to the right places. Never seen the window clear so fast. Cheers again geneticmaterial, thread was a great help.

If anyone else is looking for some of the material to do this, ive got a load left over which i've cut into the right size and shape, which anyone is welcome to for the price of postage (which I expect to be pretty cheap).

[​IMG]

Its similar stuff to what geneticmaterial used, but patterned on the side you stick to the flaps.

Chuck me a pm if interested.

1990 likes this.
  6. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Excellent, mine will be needing this.

Please sticky!

7. allana13 New Member

Awesome man

Plz do mine as well.....

My Car is filled with the engine smell the moment i turn my fan on.

Is it possible to get a step by step guide with pices on how to remove the dman thing as i will be trying it for the 1st time in my living years

Cheers

8. lufbramatt Forum Member

Great guide. Need to do mine as the direction flap has seized on windscreen mode and I either get hot or lukewarm air which is no fun in the summer. Going to book a week off work in june to sort the car properly so will be doing this if I get time :) Although the dash in a passat comes right down to the bottom so I think I'll have to drag the whole dash out :(

9. somafunk Forum Member

10. neil kaye Forum Junkie

forgot all about this but i ended up using some off cuts of lino when i did my hall way, waste not ,did the trick and all good for the forthcoming brrrrrrrrr mornings

11. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent thread. I'm halfway through the job and the pictures here have been invaluable. Just one quick word - the link to a Volkstorque thread in the first post is causing a malware alert with my anti-virus. Not sure why that is but I found another thread with lots of pics (albeit LHD) that details heater box removal

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=68989.0

12. Steve B Forum Junkie

Is there any reason to use the foam? does it create a seal or anything? I cant help think you could use anything to block up the holes if required?

Ive gotta do this in the coming weeks but i may just use gaffa tape or something similar

13. Steve B Forum Junkie

Is there any reason to use the foam? does it create a seal or anything? I cant help think you could use anything to block up the holes if required?

Ive gotta do this in the coming weeks but i may just use gaffa tape or something similar

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you need some kind of foam for the flaps ideally, otherwise they will rattle annoyingly. ask me how I know :lol:

15. Steve B Forum Junkie

lol, fair enough, I better get some ordered

16. pdxgti8v New Member

17. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Are all your flaps still going strong?

18. Bruce T Forum Member

Bit of an intimate question don't you think? lol

Friend of mine refurbed his flaps using tbis guide and its much betting apparently! He did mine too but I've decided not too fit it back in the car...sorry chief! lol

19. Steve B Forum Junkie

I ended up using some very thick electrical type tape on mine as I couldnt quickly get hold of the foam, used a good few layers to make it nice and thick, worked a trat and changed the heater matrix at the same time. Ireally really hope i dont have to do any of it again cause it just a huge pain in the **** and ive done it three time on differnt cars now!

20. ryanwelshman New Member

on the picture showing the 3 three cogs which control the main air direction flap, im missing that centre one in which I discovered on doing this job.

Where can I get this cog from? cant find a part number or any replacement on internet or even ebay?!