Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Cullislay, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Cullislay New Member

Hello, I'm a mechanic currently working on a mk1 caddy project now fitted with a ABF on twin 40's. I found my way here trying to figure out the ignition. Prepare yourselves for silly questions that have been asked a million times!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hello and welcome, lots of choices for this. from easy drop on kr ecu and loom, or find a vacuum/weights advance dizzy from 1.9 pug gti or old saab/volvo, to fully mappable ignition controller, to skip carbs and go throttle bodies with full management ;)

3. Cullislay New Member

Hi rubjonny, I've been reading lots of post from you on the subject but still can quite get my head round it. We have the "little black box" ignition unit but no wiring diagrams with the same colour wires, and the two plugs ( I assume one for distributor and one for could pack) don't fit the ABF parts.

4. rubjonny

you may have a carb/kjet 8v ignition loom, which wont work.

this is the kr loom you need:
    [​IMG]

1 - Earth to battery -ve
    2 - KR ign controller plug
    3 - TCI-H plug
    4 - Black - KR ign controller & TCI-H ign live - terminal 15 side of coil
    5 - Green - Coil trigger - terminal 1 side of coil
    \- red/black - spade is for the isv control unit, the main wire is the rev counter feed
    6 - Brown - Earth to cylinder head
    7 - Blue/white - Temp sensor feed (use one of the 3 on the side of the head)
    8 - Dizzy plug
    9 - red/yellow - Fuel pump relay earth trigger
    |- black/yellow - idle switch feed (12v feed with throttle shut)
    \- black/white - ignition live for ECU (only on Corrado ECU loom)

5. rubjonny

oh and you need a kr or 9a distributor if you go this route

6. Cullislay New Member

I apologise for my noob ways! cant get the picture to link properly.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2020
  7. rubjonny

ok got it!

so you need a later type mk2 coil to go with this, rather than the square mk3 one. looks like its had a fair bit of wiring redone, most of the terminals are non original as are at least some of the wires in it. plus theres a strange extra 3 pin plug near the dizzy, is it possible this came from a PL engien code? if so thats for the knock sensor. what part number is on the ECU?

8. Cullislay New Member

Its 5DA 005 155-00
    EZ1 4Zyl
    811 907 384

9. rubjonny

ok so thats a KR ignition controller, you can ignore that extra 3 pin plug. I would fully untape the loom then you can get a good look at the overall condition, and bin off the extra 3 pin at the same time

actually what it might be is a loom off a late 1.8 kr corrado, if so that 3 pin is equivalent to plug 9 in my picture. its like a mk2 loom except the ignition live comes from fusebox to this plug rather than being fed from coil live like a mk2 loom.

so if you untape the loom and you find the 3 pin has got a black/white wire from the ecu, you re-route it to the coil and splice it in with the wire from the spark module pin 4 and pop to coil positive side. or alternatively feed it with ignition live from the fusebox

10. Cullislay New Member

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll strip the tape off and have a look, then perhaps it will make more sense.

11. Cullislay New Member

[​IMG]

I have stripped the tape off the loom now, I'm still none the wiser, with the wiring or getting the URL to work right. [:|] can you tell I don't usually use computers!?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2020
  12. rubjonny

what you do is go into the photobucket URL, then click the zoom icon. then right click on the picture and select 'coppy image address/url' or similar, then paste that into your post. Once you get up to 10 posts you can upload pictures direct to clubgti and wont have to worry about rubbish image hosts any more ;)

can you chase the 2 wires into the ecu plug and let us know what pins they are? to get into the back of the plug you undo the little screw at the end of the connector and pull the middle pin carrier out of the outer plastic housing. pins are numbered on the back in the corners usually, if not just post pics of both sides and highlight where the 2 wires go.

one pin will be for fuel relay trigger and the other is for idle switch we just need to figure out which is which as VW wire colour coding wasnt used when this loom was remade. then you can use the fuel relay pin to control your fuel pump as VW intended, the idle switch pin can be ignored on your setup.

I can see the ecu power is going to the coil so thats all good. on the spade connectors up top the 2 black wires go to the coil positive and the yellow to coil negative. then you have 2 wires from your fusebox black to positive and red/black to negative :)

13. bonus85 Forum Member

The club gti caddy presence is booming :thumbup:

14. Cullislay New Member

right I have traced all the wires to and from the ECU plug and they are as follows....(reference to the previously posted picture)
    Pin 1 (dark blue) to single spade terminal.
    Pin 3 (thick white) to ring terminal and to no.2 on ignition module.
    Pin 5 (thick black) to double spade terminal.
    (thin black) to 2 pin plug.
    Pin 6 (thin black) to 2 pin plug.
    Pin 7 (thin brown) to 3 pin plug.
    Pin 9 (thin grey) to 3 pin plug.
    Pin 12 (thin brown) to no.6 on ignition module.
    Pin 15 (thin red) to 3 pin plug.
    all other pins are empty.

so am I right in thinking that once you have held my hand and explained which wire goes where, I can wire up the fuel pump relay, fit a KR or 9A distributor body, ABF cap and leads and it will run?

15. rubjonny

pin 1 - coolant temp sensor
    pin 3 - earth to battery if it will reach, if not a good earth point
    pin 5 - ignition live from coil positive
    pin 6 - idle switch, ignore
    pin 7 - distributor
    pin 9 - distributor
    pin 12 - spark trigger to ignition module
    pin 15 - distributor

the 2 pin plug should have a wire to ECU pin 10 as well, this is the fuel relay earth trigger I mention. you run this either to external relay, or you can run it to D/13 on the CE1 fusebox and fit a 67/80/167 fuel relay in slot 12. then wire fuel pump to E/14 as per factory GTI, or if you dont have any CE1 terminals you can run it to the large spade N but you need to put a fuse inline. E/14 is fused from fuse #5, N is unfused you see

16. Cullislay New Member

brilliant! thank you. I'll have a play with the info you've given me and see what happens. :thumbup: