Help 1.8t problems

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Matt 1.8t, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Matt 1.8t New Member

Really need some help..... starting to think the problem might not be the turbo now as I’ve fix all the leaks I could find and now have my boost psi back to 18/19 psi but seems to be when you go over 30rpm to 50rpm there’s a big issue there with power the revs fly up as they should with peak boost but the car don’t pick up speed like it should with that much boost build up best way I can explain it is like it’s riding on the clutch but it’s not but that’s how it feels will still get up and over 100mph but slowly and unwillingly not like it use to would get there quick with no problem and put you back into your seat while doing so ☹️ I don’t know what else it could be

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok so the car is boosting fine and revving up, but car isnt going? sounds like clutch to me

3. Matt 1.8t New Member

See that’s what I thought but there’s no problem pulling away or selecting gears it’s literally when it’s in the 30,000 to 50,000 rpm region is the only time it’s noticeable but at this point I’ve been off the clutch for a while and not touching it at all it’s literally over my head don’t know what it could be

4. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

it doesnt feel like its surging like power is coming in, but then not happening is it? it could still be a boost leak.. i has this when blew a pipe on the charge pipe coming off the turbo

5. Matt 1.8t New Member

Yeah it could well be lower down as I only checked upper vacuum hoses and replaced ones that had damage but as for lower ones didn’t have a look it’s in today and up on the ramp so hopefully they can find the issue before i start buying new turbos etc but so far it’s baffling me

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

maybe look at the coilpacks next. had a very strange fault on an AGU it felt like the car was in limp mode, simialt to how you say you can pull away and drive fine at part throttle but as soon as you try to put the boot in it just wouldn't really pull. it didnt feel like a missfire as engine seemed to be smooth, rev gauge looked fine etc. but another set of coilpacks solved it

7. Matt 1.8t New Member

Had a call from my mechanic and he thinks it where I had boost gage installed the vacuum hose used was not up to standard and collapse under the vacuum pressure there for not giving the actuator valve the right pressure to do it’s job there for the loss of power so going to remove the T that was installed to take the pressure to the boost gage and put a straight fit connector bypass the gage set up for now and see if this solves the issue I’m not over confident that it will but we will see

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Also, you have not said, if this engine is an AUM or AGU, if the car is fitted with a standard ECU or an aftermarket.

18 psi so your car has been remapped no doubt.

Any fault codes scanned or checked.

9. Matt 1.8t New Member

Hi found the problem had a vacuum leak and found out after a surge of over boost blew my hose clean off ‍♂️ Do you know the size of the left hand lower inter cooler hose / lower boost hose as when it blew out it killed it and need to buy a replacement after market but It needs to have a coupler and I can’t find anything about what size coupler I need ??