Help! Abf fueling issues?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by matchowmk1, Jul 30, 2022.

1. matchowmk1

matchowmk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi I’ve recently developed a fueling issue in my mk1 golf Gti abf, and wondered if anyone can help me? It’s been running perfectly for the last 3 years then all of a sudden the rev counter would drop dead and the engine would cut out, while I am driving. So after some advice and a lot of trial and error I’ve changed the rotor arm/dizzy cap, coil, fuel pump relay and then finally Crank position sensor which seems to of fixed the cutting out problem. But now I have developed a new problem where it runs and drives fine but when I take it for a test drive I get to a certain point in my journey and the car judders and splutters like it’s running out of fuel? My fuel set up I’m currently running is a mk1 Gti bottom feed fuel tank with an internal swirl pot, connected to a mk2 Gti 8v pump and reservoir setup which feeds to the engine. This set up has been running fine for years but now I’m suddenly getting these problems.

So far I’ve checked all the pipes are clear and checked for blockages in my tank, got a new fuel pump, filter and reservoir tank which I put back together to find that it now idles for a few minutes then splutters/ stalls again.

This led me to change the fuel pressure regulator (not new) so is now back running and driving.

But when I accelerate hard it splutters like it’s not getting fuel? When this happens I pull
    Over for 10 minutes or so and then it drives fine again? Im getting to the point where I don’t know where else to look for problems as it’s been running fine for years as my daily driver to work and back and now suddenly fueling issues?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The mk2 8v external set up needs an internal pump to supply it. Usually a low pressure item. You might be better served with either the standard mk1 GTI external pump or similar "044" style , or adding an internal pump to your tank.

3. matchowmk1

Thanks for the reply, I did wonder if I needed a lift pump at all for the 8v set up as the feed pipe for it had a 1 way valve clipped inside that Ive removed as my tank is gravity and didnt think it would open with out some sort of suply pump?

I’ve got a lift pump sender that I’m not using I think it’s a late mk1 sender? If I use that would I have to blank off the feed and return from my tank and use the lift pump feed and return? And the lift pump is 8mm but the feed to the 8v reservoir is 12mm?

[​IMG]

if I used a 044 style would I just need the 044 connected straight from the gravity feed on my tank then through a filter and not use the 8v set up?
    [​IMG]

4. Tristan

Yeah, 044 style on its own outside, nothing more.
    I have that on a 20v 2.2 5 pot ur quattro rallycar running 300bhp here .. So you should be ok lol.

As long as your swirl pot is ok.

5. matchowmk1

I have the internal swirl pot in the tank, would I need an inline filter? Also the 044 is a 5 bar pump but my abf requires 3 bar, would I have to add a fuel pressure regulator to lower the pressure down to 3 bar?

6. Tristan

Do you have a pressure reg on the end of the fuel rail?
    If so, that controls the pressure.
    It doesn't have to be an actual Bosch 044, just that style. we use Sytec items.

An intank gauze is no harm, usually there's a filter after the pump. Sometimes even on the return.

7. matchowmk1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has this 3 bar pressure regulator in the top of the fuel rail that has a vacuum pipe connected to the inlet Manifold near the throttle body.

I added a picture above of the sytec pump I was thinking of ordering for it but wasn’t sure if it being 5 bar would it be too much for my factory 3 bar regulator?

8. Tristan

No, should be fine

9. matchowmk1

Lovely thank you so much for all your help really appreciate it :thumbup:

Tristan likes this.
  10. Tristan

Keep us posted mate.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a good look inside the tank, it could be full of rust and debris from a damaged fuel filler neck. also by now you may find the seals in the swirl pot may have dissolved which stops it working and will cause you issues down the line with the external pump cornering hard with low fuel:
    https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=how-to_2/fuel-tank-cleaning_3

if any of the above get a new neck and carb tank then you can use that lifter pump you have with an external swirl pot feeding the mk1/44 pump

tbh the original mk1 pump is probably fine, unless its eaten rust from a bad tank. just get rid of the mk2 pump and run the mk1 pump on its own straight to the rail if the inside of your tank looks good. if pot seals have gone keep pump and change tank for carby one and fit the lift pump you have + external swirl pot

12. matchowmk1

I’ve got a new fuel tank and I’ve got a new filler neck.I’ve looked inside the tank and it’s still spotless clean and I’ve checked all the pipes are clear. I’ve not got the original mk1 pump at all but could get one if it would be a better option than the mk2 reservoir set up?

13. rubjonny

Ok that's all good then. So yeah as Tristan said you need some kind of pump to keep the MK2 reservoir topped up, they don't like trying to draw their own fuel. If it's lower than the main tank it's probably mostly been full just from gravity but possibly high load and fast cornering it's run dry, and eventually that kills em

If the pump is ok you could use a wee facet or similar.inline with the bottom tank output but tbh probably struggle for space. The lift pump you have would work but it probably won't fit in the tank with the swirl pot in there

So in short do what Tristan advises get an online pump and use it instead of the MK2 pump assembly for an easy life :)

14. matchowmk1

That’s what I was thinking but it’s just strange that it’s been running fine for years with this set up? But I have rebuilt my engine and changed all sensors including crank and lambda so I was thinking maybe my engines not been running 100% for years and now it’s running how it should and the 8v pump can’t keep up?(it’s not a Bosch pump just a cheap aftermarket one).

so if I went and changed my fuel system would I just need a inline 044 style sytec pump connected to the gravity pipe from the bottom of the tank, then a inline fuel filter going straight to the abf fuel rail?

15. Tristan

Yeah, that would work.

16. rubjonny

yeah my thoughts are most of the time the pot is filled by gravity no problem, but if tank is low and hard cornering possibility the pot starts to empty and this will eventually kill the pump. either that or its just old and had enough, or cheap aftermarket doesnt last as well as bosch

the mk2 pump is plenty good enough its fitted as standard to the seat toledo abf models so no worries there, plus the golf g60 as well

all you would need with the mk1 style inline is possibly an m12x1.5 to 7mm barbed adaptor (or whatever thread the pump has, m12 is what the original mk1 runs plus the bosch 44) plus as you say a mk2/3 digifant inline filter job done

17. matchowmk1

Lovely thank you for everyone’s help I’ve got a sytec pump and filter turning up today I’ve just fitted a new fuel pump regulator and I’ll see how it goes :thumbup:

18. matchowmk1

so bit of an update, I’ve fitted my new fuel system and have just taken it out for a test drive and it’s running and driving perfectly and it’s pulling like a train.
    I went for my normal route that I have been doing everytime I test it and around the same point it normally starts playing up it started to judder?

The only place I can think to look next is maybe I have a dry joint in my fuse box or ecu that plays up once the car gets hot as it happens at the same place on my test drive?

[​IMG]

19. Tristan

Possible. Is the fuel pump noisy?

20. matchowmk1

It seems fine to me you can hear it but it’s not loud?