Help an audio amateur!

Discussion in 'ICE' started by dubb, Jul 24, 2013.

1. dubb Forum Member

Not seeing any normal threads in here, maybe it's my browser? Anyways!

Looking some really simple 101 info here on headunits. All this ICE malarkey over the years has passed me by, not looking any subs or upgraded speakers, the MK3s speakers were done by the owner previous. Just a good headunit thatll give nice tone and look good.

I dont mind buying something second-hand. It would have to be single DIN as thats all that fit IIRC. CD/MP3 is the bog standard, isnt it? Id like the ability to play music off my phone via Bluetooth or USB, and operate the phone with the headunit (if possible?) Only thing is, Ive got a Nexusan Android, and I know iApples are catered for left, right, and centre, is it the same with Androids these days?

halp!

2. lard44 Forum Member

A LOT of HUs this day have bluetooth capability for wireless streaming, and those that don't you can usually hardwire through a 3.5mm jack. Some units don't even have a CD player any more, they just cater for MP3 players!

What's your budget? Give us a rough idea and we can recommend a HU...

dubb likes this.
  3. dubb Forum Member

I'd say a ballpark around 100. Don't mind second-hand either, if it gets me a better quality HU that may be a year or two older.

4. whitemk2 Forum Member

5. dubb Forum Member

6. whitemk2 Forum Member

Its not app based. Just transfer music to your phone like normal and then turn the bluetooth on. You then have to sync the phone to the head unit which is really easy. It only takes a few minutes for it to search and sync together and it will save to the head unit memory like a radio station.
    So when i want to listen to my music on the phone all i do is select what album i want and press play, switch the head unit onto blutooth mode and off i go

dubb likes this.
  7. dubb Forum Member

Now that sounds nice and simple....like me! :thumbup:

8. sicklyorange Forum Member

I would recommend gettin one with a rear USB:
    Linked to a 500Gb hard drive (tucked away in the glove box) with every CD I've ever bought on it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  9. dubb Forum Member

Sounds like some major routing would have to go on there! Nice idea mind.

10. lard44 Forum Member

Not really...one short cable tucked in between the glove box and DIN slot. You could pop a laptop HDD in a caddy, would be tiny and easy to hide.

Actually got me thinking that's a bloody good idea...

11. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

12. sicklyorange Forum Member

Just a standard USB lead.
    I used some stiff wire to get the lead through into the glovebox. There is a hole at the top next to the light for some reason
    Then you just need a portable hard drive from Maplin/Ebuyer or the likes. Make sure it's portable as it is powered throught the USB. Also they're smaller.

This is what I've got...
    http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/cd_receivers/ipod_iphone/KDC-W7044U/
    ...but it's obselete - got it for 100 in Halfords 2 years ago in end of line stuff.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  13. dubb Forum Member

Just an update, I purchased the Sony MEX-BT3900U yesterday. Great unit, the Bluetooth playing is so handy and the sound quality has improved. Love it!