Help Bill about Golf mk1 swap

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by txiskoracing, Sep 11, 2011.

1. txiskoracing New Member

Hi Bill.

First of all Im from Basque Country (Northern of Spain) and sorry because my english is very poor. Ive restored and prepared for more than last two years a Golf mk1 GTi 1.8 DX to use it in classic car meetings and races. Im very happy with it and now Im cooking in my mind a second project: another Golf mk1 but like old Gr4, large wheel arches, 16v engine but not 1.6 16v Oettinger (very expensive and difficult to find one) Im thinking about 1.8 16v KR and 2.0 16v ABF engines. Ive read that KR swap is the easyest swap for mk1 (same engine supports).

Ive read about KR and ABF upgrades and I have a lot doubts: upgrade to 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, throttle body kit, Special parts (Cams, Connecting Rods, Forged Pistons, Cranck, Flywheel..).

It would have enough reliability and a good horse power (I think it would be good with +- 170-190 hp at flywheel).
    About throttle body kits Ive read a lot:very good, very poor hp increase, a lot problems to adjust it, only good is .

So, what would you make??

Thanks for all. Im waiting your answer.

Kepa Atela

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

throttle bodies combined with a mappable engine management system, on a modded 16v engine will make more power... You need a motor which "wants" to breathe, which is down to the engine spec not the tbodies..

If you would like a tbody/ecu quote just send me an email to sales@badger5.co.uk and I will send you a quote to consider. They are not cheap. On a std engine I would personally not fit tbodies... but mod the engine to make it breathe better first.
    regards
    bill

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

^^ What he said.

You can easily hit your power target with a 2.0 16v engine, mild hardware changes, and mappable management, on a plenum, which should give you benefits in packaging, lower noise, and low speed driveability. I'm sure Bill could help you with DTA management and a set of cams to help achieve this.

Meanwhile you have a good basis for further mods. You could also spend the money you saved on a gearbox with an LSD in it, which will transform the delivery of the power to the road.

There's not much difference between fitting a 1.8 vs 2.0 engine.

4. txiskoracing New Member

Hi Mike.
    Thanks for your reply, I'll take it in mind.
    .... but I think we are agree ITB sound is....very nice and "racing".

Bye