Help! My 16v is too low for the roads of Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by saladman, Jan 21, 2022.

1. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

First of all - I know this has probably been done to death but my search-fu is weak. Apologies in advance. Google search brings up a bunch of posts from several years ago and I'm wondering if anything has changed.

I'm about to get my 1991 16v mk2 back on the road but need to get it back up to a reasonable height. It's currently sat on SPAX with a 40mm drop (I think) and it's a pain in the harris on the roads.

2022-01-20 - geoff-toolow-forFlickr.jpg

It will be a daily so I'd like to get it back to stock-ish height / ride feel.

Also the previous owner removed the middle silencer due to low ride height which means it's a bit too lairy for me as an old fart. I plan to re-instate this once the car's raised up a bit.

So my question is - what do you lot recommend and what should I watch out for? For some reason Bilsteins ring a bell but I'm still undecided.

Cheers!

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Bilsteins with standard ride height springs, but I’d be inclined to say that’s more than 40mm. I had -40mm on 15’s and it was pretty much perfect. It certainly didn’t scrape anywhere and I had a middle box.

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

-35 and bilstein shocka on mine and rides well around the mighty 'Fax, 195 50 15s on 7j wheels too.
    Gti spoiler has nipped a bit on the killer speedbumps but only slightly.

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

We have Bilstein B4 gas shocks bought as a complete kit. The height is standard 16v but the ride is deffo firmer. I wouldn’t want it firmer that’s for sure even on the Sowf Easts supposedly “smooth” roads. The height at the front was too high with a 1.3 but with the 2.0 it’s about right.

5. dodgy

@saladman , just expanded your picture, darned funny, made me smile on a cold Friday morning.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

@saladman, put your picture in your text for you.
    Nice Oakie!

-40 mm drop on a GTI 8v I have found to be too low for me in the past.

-25 or -30 mm ok.

For me it really depends on the scrub radius and the nasty speed bumps this West London area can have.

7. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

I used to run 40mm springs on my 8v GTI, 195/50/15 tire, scrape free.

Guess it all depends on the road condition and speed bump severity in your location!

8. dodgy

If it's "God's own county" he definitely must own a Syncro. ;)
    Ought to go on the roads in Somerset that are built on peat bog, now they are something to wake you up!

9. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

35/40 mm Eibachs with Bilstein B8, firm but nice enough to daily. No scraping except for the occasional splitter catch on some very steep t junctions

10. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

In the name of God - forget about any lowering of the car and go with standard 16V springs and Bilstein B4 or Sachs OE replacements:
    Bilstein Front Shock Part No. 22-041141
    Bilstein Rear Shock Part No. 19-019963

I don't have the Sachs numbers to hand but Bilstein are the best of the best.
    I've mentioned this before but when I got my Mk2 from the UK a few years back, it had a Bilstein coilover kit, was lowered 30-40mm and it was brutal to drive. The chin spoiler was more of a road surface scraper/snow plough and the car just scraped and crashed everywhere it went.

I put it back on the standard 16V springs and in my case I had standard 16V Sachs shocks that I installed and it was like night and day. The standard 16V suspension is good and in my old 16V, I used front and rear strut braces and uprated engine mounts to to keep her planted on the road and it never, ever let me down.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    PhilRyder likes this.
  11. dodgy

There is a company in Somerset that does good deal on bilstein shocks.
    I've got some spax coilovers in the shed by the way.

12. saladman

Thanks for the comments and advice chaps - sounds like Bilsteins and standard springs will be a suitable choice. Speedbumps round here are plentiful and savage, that's before we start talking about cobbled roads and potholes! We still have horses and carts round here you know :hug:

I couldn't care less about how the car looks re ride height - I'm a function over form kinda guy. Happy to spend the money on good stuff to get a more comfortable ride. Current daily is an 87 mk2 GL on standard suspension, auto box and power steering and honestly it is a delight to drive. Plan is to swap to the 16v so it isn't left standing about rotting and the old GL can get a bit of TLC.

Will report back once I can afford the new susp parts - need to get it through an MOT first ha.

As far as I can tell I'll need to get the front wheels / bits aligned after swapping the suspension over? Also I've never successfully managed to remove a front strut, those top mounts are a mystery to me.

@dodgy if you could share the link to Somerset shocks place that would be brill. Still need to come visit you at some point. Glad you liked the reg plate [:D]

Thanks again!

@Toyotec thanks for slipping the photo into the post, must learn how to do that myself...

13. dodgy

14. PhilRyder

As per @dodgy ’s recommendation, that’s who we got ours from, TDC. I’ve checked the invoice and ours are 30mm lowering springs which is plenty.
    That kit is still the same price as when we bought ours which is good. You may need to add top mounts as well depending on the state of yours.

dodgy likes this.
  15. dodgy

Mine was low after the conversion, but my new top mounts were shot, as @PhilRyder says do them too as it's apart, and get decent ones.

16. saladman

Yep would have to assume that the top mounts are in need of replacement - any recommends on ones to go for?

17. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Probably a lost cause but original/OEM would be the best but if they are around, I'm sure someone will want lawless money for them.

I have used SKF and Lemforder back in the day and they are good, not sure if they're still available, Meyle will definitely be around but I've found that brand to be hit and miss with VW Mk2 parts based on my own experience.

This may also be an option and an upgrade:
    Pair Lemforder OEM Front Top Mounts for VW Mk2 Golf G60 Or Upgrade Any Mk2 Golf | eBay

18. PhilRyder

^^^these are what I have with Febi rear top rubbers. All seem fine.

costel1969 likes this.
  19. dodgy

Lemforder in mine now, think was febi that I had before.

costel1969 likes this.
  20. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Make sure you have the correct washers and nuts etc ready when building up the new struts.
    Just when you go to swap it all over and these are missing is an absolute pain....

costel1969 likes this.