Help Please - MK2 16v rad into an 8v to give AC comp clearance.

Discussion in '8-valve' started by AndyBa, Mar 21, 2021.

1. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

So yesterday I made further progress on the retofit MK3 aircon install. However the bottom outlet of the 8v radiator is a bit close to the side of the compressor.
    Thanks to davidut5 for his info on using a standard rad.

I've done a bit of reading about the 16v radiator which is smaller and by all accounts has more cores. I've found this one on ebay which appears to be correct for aircon (not sure what the difference is tbh). Is the PRASCO make is any good...a quick search shows Autodoc supply that brand?

16v rad

ECP have a smaller rad but it doesn't state if it is for a 16v or not.
    If I fit a16v rad I'll also need to replace the top and bottom hoses. The bottom will be a standard 16v but what about the top hose since the 16v head is different to the 8v?

I'll also need a 16v radiator fan too. Shame 'cos both the rad and the fan motor are fairly new.

My current rad is circa 600mm wide.
    Just had a play and if I move it as far to the battery as possible it might fit. Just need to test with the AC pipes in situ.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you'll need a larger rad not smaller for aircon, original 8v is 525mm ac rad is 675mm with specific hoses to match

3. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks yet again Jon.
    So the rad will be the full width of the engine bay then....[:D]
    I've taken another look and 'cos the rad goes slightly diagonal there is a couple of cms more room to route the hose with a longer rad!!!
    So do I basically need the MK3 8v with a/c rad, shroud fans and hoses?
    edit.....just been looking on ebay and noted a MK3 VR6 slam panel looks to have an integrated fan shroud. This is different to the MK2.
    Is the solution to skillfully cut this out and mount on the radiator like a MK2?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

use the mk2 a/c rad and get the rad hose set to match your engine, the mk3 rad could be used but wouldn't fit as nicely

191121251C - rad, 675mm
    191121101AB - top hose
    191121051P - bottom hose

thin hose you just buy a roll of part number 443121107A and cut to length (1040mm)

davidut5 likes this.
  5. H8V

h8v Forum Member

6. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Jon, h8v and Davidut5
    So I did a bit of umm'ing and rr'ing today. Couldn't find anything on an ebay search, then did a general Google and found this...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator...1?pageci=20aa9db2-ec10-436e-b820-a9d5a12d5218.
    So I've bitten the bullet and put the order in. Noted that the bottom pipe is angled which should help fitment of the hose under the A/C compressor. The overall price is pretty reasonable.
    edit...I must have been half asleep 'cos I've subsequently found some local to to the UK DOH!!
    I'll see how my original hoses fit first then give the guys at B&B a call if needbe. (I can't find them on their ebay store). The current rad is 600mm wide.
    My existing hose to the expansion tank is a fuel hose and I think it maybe long enough.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021