help please !

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Razzer, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Razzer Forum Member

It would appear that the pistons sit flush with the top of the block, it also looks like the valves have kissed the pistons [:s]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Razzer Forum Member

the dizzy spins on the existing shaft

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

It also looks like it's never been run since a re-build, unless you've cleaned off all the carbon and polished them!

Measure the depth of the valve face to the head face, as long as it's more than 4-5mm plus the head gasket it will never touch, unless a belt breaks or you seriously "buzz" it.

What gasket was used?

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Also... if your going to run it in a transverse application (i.e Golf), you cant use that inlet manifold as the carbs will be tipped downwards... you'll need a Mangolcr@psi and port it to suit, then cut away the top of the inlet port and blend the manifold & head together.

You can then use a Weber throttle linkage, it's still tight but will go with a bit of "adjustment"!

I would totally strip the engine and check it over before using it in anger.

5. Razzer Forum Member

head gasket REINZ 50RNZ97 ?
    and I think it has 3no raised dots on the circular part of the gasket that sticks out in the centre

6. Razzer Forum Member

could I use my mechanical injection system including the manifold off my 1600 engine
    (not sure of the dimensions without stripping it off)

7. danster Forum Addict

What are the regs for the class you want to race in?
    Sometimes modifications have to be period and of the era.

Pretty sure your 1600 injection stuff could be fitted onto the other engine as the manifold faces are similar.
    Presumably it will be pretty adjustable to supply the correct fuel air ratio.

So does it have a fancy crank and rods in there too?

8. Razzer Forum Member

I don't think so, photo to follow back in 5 mins

9. Razzer Forum Member

sump off

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. danster Forum Addict

Good stuff.
    It has std looking conrods but fitted with fancy big end studs and nuts, eg ARP.
    The crank is also more like the 16v non trigger wheel style one too. :thumbup:

There are engines floating around that have odd cranks in them though. It seems that whatever was in stock got used.
    Either way it is good for you.

Looks like there will be a little work in going back to conventional oil pump though. Hopefully nothing modified that cannot be put back to standard with regard to this job.
    You can see the intermediate shaft is well modified for the different oil pump arrangement.

11. Razzer Forum Member

angle of manifold ? vertical measurement through centre line of spindle to top of body 217mm, horizontal measurement from top 8mm, anybody got a protractor ?

[​IMG]

12. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Victor Reinz are fine... very good in fact... use em on mine.

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

You can use the carbs... but not on that manifold I'm affraid. A well ported Mangoletsi "will" do the job.

14. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Ray, can we have a couple of photos of your cam sprocket please?;)

15. Razzer Forum Member

with pleasure

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. danster Forum Addict

Razzer, can you measure the base circle of the cam in that new engine you got please?
    It looks like it might not be the std 38mm to me. Could just be the pic but I am wandering if it is 36mm.
    Cheers. :thumbup:

17. Razzer Forum Member

what do you mean by base circle ?
    do you mean the diameter of the camshaft

18. danster Forum Addict

Yes. If you put a lobe pointing fully up, away from the tappet and then measure across from side to side that will give the base circle.:thumbup:
    If you then turn the cam and measure the distance from the top of the lobe to the bottom of cam that will give you the valve lift (minus valve clearance that is).

19. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

The angle of the bottom outlet on the w.pump suggest single seater, its turned the wrong way for say mk2 layout.

Interesting plug at oil pump mount face. The lube holes for the oil pump shaft are still live(1) even plugging this and interestingly as I found, are fed with non filtered oil too before it gets to filter, and down to mains and inter-shaft bearings.

Look again at the pump shaft holes and see if there plugged some way. Many thanks.

Actually, let me think how they did it, they turned a spindle that drives down from the top with a collar on it, this gives the dissy something to sit on, and also carries/supports dissy gear? And also plugs the top oil pump shaft oil way?

Thats possibly how Id do it.

Let us know either way.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

There look to be imperfections around the top of the second bore?