Hi Simon here 89 gti

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Simon Peter Dodgson, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Hi all just introducing myself. Just purchased a 5 door small bumper with various issues. Fuel gauge temp gauge inoperative high idle when hot Had valves and 8s in the 90s(13of them )Looking forward to breathing new life in him. Thanks for having me on your forum
    Regards Simon

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hello there! got any nice pics?

bust temp and fuel gauge together can be down to the voltage regulator round the back, does the MFA work at all? This also feeds the speed sensor which does the average speed, distance and mpg settings

for 8v digi engine start in my troubleshooting thread:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/124949/

3. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Mfa stalk is missing. Has a normal stalk fitted Clocks have the options. Temp gauge worked today Yesterday pulled the sender out of the fuel tank as infinity reading on multimeter. Stripped it fibreglass pencil used on contacts as the rheostat as I call it shows continuity .Managed to get a reading of 168 ohms to about 8 when lifted. Thought I was on a winner but no joy. Switches on throttle body show no continuity when pressed if they use an earth. Ordered pcv grommet for rocker cover as that is split. And the distributor wobbles.

4. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Just sent my fuel gauge off to full by ground on blsck green wire at sender in tank

5. rubjonny

if you loop a wire between the brown and purple/black wires gauge should go to full, likewise if you earth the purple/black (worth testing too in case earth is bad) on the dash temp its the 2 pin black sensor in the front flange, again loop a wire between yellow/red and brown gauge should go to full, or if you earth the yellow/red

one thing to check is if your earth claw above the fusebox is properly earthed, if you look for a fat berown coming in with the headlight loom with a white 4 way spade block on the end, there shoudl be a brown out the back fo this which pops to the claw to supply the earth. while there look for any loose browns which need to be refitted here, the dash temp and fuel level sender both earth here

6. rubjonny

acvtually that assumes its ce1 fusebox with hazard on dash, if its late 89 it'll be ce2 with hazard switch on the column. on those claw is to the left of the fusebox and the earth for it is supplied by a brown wire hanging out the back of F/4 on the fusebox. dash temp and fuel level both earth direct to the fusebox on these so not as critical, but worth a check as a few other bits and bobs still earth to the claw

7. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Hazard on dash so ce1. The fuse box is not clipped in its hanging down lots of wires not connected to anything including a brown. Earth is missing electrically then.What a rats nest! Attempted to refit fuse box and fat spark appeared. Am going to have to tidy up

8. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

9. rubjonny

looks nice :)

10. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Thanks rubjonny. Like the sticky on the fuse box wiring as I'm exploring the site I'm going in. I like projects. Missus says I have too many

11. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

12. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Update. On connector E pin 4 of fusebox brown blue earth wire going to sender there is no earth being supplied by fusebox. All brown wires are connected to claw (one was unplugged with loosely gripping spade terminal and fell off) . and metered out as earth. Stripped back insulation and connected temp earth and the fuel gauge works. Don't want to put bypass wire in if I don't have to so where does the earth supply go into the fusebox for pin4?

13. rubjonny

hmm. All my CE1 wiring diagrams show the level sender earth going back to the earth claw/white block.

E/4 only shown for diesel engines, feed to the water separator unit. it doesn't go to earth in the fusebox either, it is linked internally to B/4 and then goes off do glowplug warning light. So if it was to do anything on a petrol car, A/4 needs to be earthed in the harness or should be tapped into the male spade on the clock loom which connects to the head earth in the engine harness...

or snip E/4 and earth it to the claw like most if not all CE1 GTI are :)

14. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Aha. That makes sense. Many thanks for your help rubjonny.

15. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

16. rubjonny

aha, that old chestnut ;)

17. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

18. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Took the missus lad out in it today 21 yrs bmw116i driver. Taught him to change oil and fitted ebc green pads to his bm.he has driven the mk2 fairly well with its lack of safety abs airbag tc etc. I drove it today with him as passenger after intake airleak fixed. He thinks it's brilliant with the smells noise and wheelspins.i like it too[:D]

19. rubjonny

nothing like old cars eh ;)