High idle & revs by itself

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by ThisIsStapes, Jun 26, 2018.

1. ThisIsStapes

ThisIsStapes Paid Member Paid Member

So I have recently had my crank sensor replaced and since I have had it back it seems to be idling high (around 2000) and the revs don't seem to be going down whilst driving.

When the car is started and idling the revs can be as high as 2000. If I quickly revved the engine then the revs would then drop down to the usual idle speed.
    But in the last couple of days it seems to be getting worse. If I quickly rev the engine on idle now the revs will get stuck on the revs that it revved to (4000 for example).
    I have also noticed that whilst driving the revs will get often get stuck (therefore no engine breaking) and have actually now started to climb just while I have been driving and also when idling.

Any ideas what this could be?

I have cleaned out the breathing tube and air filter and all air pipes and also the throttle. The throttle doesn't seem to be sticking and the cable and pedal are all free and fine.

I have these error codes:
    R reg Mk3 2.0ltr 8v gti

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

00515 Camshaft Position Sensor (Hall Effect Sensor) - No Signal (G40) : Check CMP, if OK, replace distributor. B
    00537 Oxygen Sensor Control
    00588 Air-bag Ignition Circuit - Driver Side -N95
    00532 Supply Voltage (B+) Malfunction Low Battery or Bad Ground

only the first 2 seem to be related to the ecu, but if you clear the codes do they come back? first free check would be clean out the throttle body, when its reving is the throttle definitly at the stop? release the cable and repeat your tests revved at the throttle see if it still does the same

3. ThisIsStapes

I have cleared the codes and those four are the ones that come up again. I have had a look inside the throttle body and it doesn't look like its jammed or sticking.
    I have also tested this at the throttle and it seems to working as normal.

I replaced the blue Camshaft Position Sensor sometime last year as it was leaking oil but it was ok after that. This seems to be a new problem.

I'm also over-fueling if you have any answers to that.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

camshaft sensor is the hall sensor inside the distributor, check wiring to it, chase back as best you can looking ofr previous repairs etc. also peel back the rubber boot on the plug if it has one check condition under there. make sure its the right distributor for the engien as the early 2e code ones are not the same they have 4 windows on the trigger window but the AGG/ADY only has 1 window

check the lambda probe wiring as well, since the code you gave has no extra detail I cant say what it has actually flagged up. is it possible to log into the ecu and get a full scan with vagcom this will tell you a bit more on the fault

5. ThisIsStapes

Awesome. Will have a look at these tonight. Thanks.