How safe are wheel spacers on track cars?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by altern8, Jul 31, 2010.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

Hey

Just wondering how safe is it to run wheel spacers, hubcentric ones on a track car? not talking big spacers mabey 10mm ones?

Cheers

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Fine to run hubcentric with the right length bolts to compensate.

3. Admin Guest

As Chris says fine, but you will not fined 10mm hubcentric the min is around 15mm per side. I run Eibach 15mm hubcentric on the front and 10mm (not hubcentric) on the rear, I have not had any problems on track. I use studs but as mentioned longer bolts will be needed.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as above, 10mm hub-centrics may not fit over your hubs as they're too shallow. depends on the wheel & hub design though. on my mk2 10mm hubcentrics wouldnt fit over the rear disc hub, so i bought some non-hubcentric ones and all was well. but then on the cabby the same 10mm non-hubcentrics wouldnt work becasue the hub lip was too shallow, and i had sold my hub-centrics by then doh :lol:

basically, as long as the wheel centres on the hub its all good. if you are unsure, fit something thats 10mm thick behind the wheel to check before spending any money. obviously dont drive it around with a lump o wood bolted between wheel and hub :lol:

other issue is some wheels have a deep taper to the centre bore, this coupled with the short hub lip on the cabby meant i couldn't use my non-hubcentric spacers

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

rears tend to have a hub of 12-15mm fronts are less... so if they are going on the rear get the tape measure out.

the only other thing to remember is that with a low offset the bump steer will be more plus the steering can be heavier( as the wheel centre is no longer in line with the ball joint axel) and there is more stress on wheel bearings and ball joints etc as the leaverage is more

I run solid steel 5mm ones on mine which are the correct centre bore and PCD, not had an issue yet, and I use longer bolts to be safe

6. Fray16v Forum Member

i done a few miles on mine and the steering was fine for having no pas and 215/40's on and no sign of bump steer at all and i'v got 20mm hubcentric all round that bolt to the hub then the wheel's bolts to the spacer's.

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

it all depends what your final et of the whhel will be... and for rears if you only want 10mm a side, use stub axel like are sold here buy a club gti member

8. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

As above, used hubcentric spacers on track with no problems.

9. Fray16v Forum Member

mind you my et without the spacers is et50 and the inside of the tyre's where catching wishbone and catching the rear axle so they where a must to get my rim on, 7.5"x16" rh cups i think they where off a vauxhall that's how the et was high but for 82 for the set i can't grumble.

10. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

Hey John, so just to be clear... did you run hubcentric up front and non centric at the rear?

11. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I have 10mm hubcentric HnR spacers on my BMW.

12. rubjonny

I didn't run any spacers up front, it was just for the back I needed them as my TSW flat centre caps hit the bearing dust caps.

on my MK2 rear discs the hub lip was much deeper than the discs fitted to my mk1 cabrio. so the hub centric 10mm spacers I bought wouldn't fit over the lip on the mk2, and I had to use flat 10mm spacers instead. but on the mk1 using the same flat spacers the wheels wouldn't centre on the hub so I had to live without centre caps :lol:

13. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

ok thanks. i'll have to get the measure out tonight. S2 calipers are folwing on the front and 7mm spacing allows them to clear but 10mm would add peace of mind, just wasnt certian if id need hubcentric or not up front, but think i will need to

14. rubjonny

I would think for 10mm yeah hub centrics would be required, just make sure the hub lip will fit inside the spacers you choose there isnt much metal to play with for 10mm spacers