How To: Hockey Puck Mk3 Type Front engine mount

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by tshirt2k, Mar 29, 2012.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

After reading about this mod I decided to give it a go myself as i couldnt find a how to.. I didn't want to go for a solid front mount because i didn't want alot of vibration. Also Vibratechnic are a bit expensive. I have already replaced the front mount previously but still had some movement.

I bought 4 Ice Hockey pucks from my nearest Ice skating rink (buy 5 if you want a stiffer mount). The pucks are a solid rubber but are still pliable.

I Jacked up the car and supported the engine with some wood and a trolley jack . I then removed the front engine mount by removing the two bolts above and below Top bolt has a 16mm nut and the bottom is an 7mm (I Think) allen key .

(Those that have a plastic undertray will need to remove before you can access bottom bolt.)

The engine was jacked up to allow the mount to be removed.

Original swiss cheese mount. Left is upper section. Right is Lower section

[​IMG]

To allow the pucks to fit the mount body, they needed holes drilled through the centres. I did this using a 20mm Hole saw. and did all 4.

Drilling Hockey pucks with hole saw

[​IMG]

After drilling the puck i assembled them onto the mount body. I used 2 1/2 pucks to replace the swiss cheese mount but used the lower section of the mount in pace of the 3rd puck as i didnt want too much vibration (Dont use lower section for a stiffer mount). The lower section needs the large metal washer removed for use later. A puck is then used to replace the used lower section.

How pucks mount on to body. In total you should use 3 1/2 pucks ( 4 1/2 for stiffer). Pic doesn't show 1/2 a puck in place.

[​IMG]

I copper greased the mount body shaft and fitted the pucks.

Showing assembled mount and old swiss cheese mount

[​IMG]

Mount was then fitted to car in reverse of removal. The lower puck was fitted to the bottom of the mount with the large washer .

Lower puck mount fitted

[​IMG]

I found the engine has a lot less movement now and i can't feel any movement on overrun or accelerating. There is a slight increase in vibration but its acceptable :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Ben S likes this.
  2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nice! Be interesting to see how durable it is.

Gurds

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I did a similar thing to the old Ankor a few years ago. Instead I just simply cut off part of the "cheese" mounting part and stuffed it with the rest of the mount. Still okay to date.

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Well it's been on the car since before the turbo conversion. I just realised i hadn't posted it on here.

Ben S likes this.
  5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Do these how to's get stickied at all or do they have to be found by searching the archives?

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice work, I could be tempted with the Passat beater.

Which section would you like it stickied in?

7. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Its quite a common mod on E30's too. I have never heard of durability issues with it.

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Whatever is suitable. :thumbup:

9. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

can this be done on a mk2 engine mount too?

10. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

I've done this on my mk3 and it's nice a stiff. The rear engine mount is a swiss cheese one as well but not too sure how many pucks would be needed

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I tought the rear was a hyro unit. [:s]

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Still working.

StuMc and Dex like this.
  13. lufbramatt Forum Member

Great guide- Just made one of these, took all of half hour and that included finding the hole saw . . just need it to stop raining so I can finish taking the car to bits and fit it!

Cost less than a tenner for 5 hockey pucks, even if it's pants it's worth a try as new front mounts are about 40 quid.

tshirt2k likes this.
  14. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It's not pants, still going strong with 275ftlbs and nearly 20k miles.

15. lufbramatt Forum Member

hehe sorry no I know it will work and last fine, I meant in terms of noise/vibration. I'm sure it will be ok though, the crossmember has bushes in each end anyway.

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

^^^I have been in that car and compared to my VR6 car with a std 'cheese' front mount, compressed with bits from another old cheese mount, it is actually not that bad for NVH.
    Plus with his torque output, some 60lbft more than my VR6, the engine goes no where on tip in :thumbup:

17. lufbramatt Forum Member

Fitted this over the weekend. Have to say I'm really impressed with the improvement. There is an increase in vibration when cold, mainly noticeable at idle but once it's all warmed up it seems to get better. Tiny amount of extra noise at motorway speed but this is more than made up with an improvement in ride quality (having a quarter of a ton of engine and gearbox wobbling about up front can't be good for body control) and much smoother progress in traffic as there is hardly any transmission shunt any more.

Once it gets warmer I'm going to replace the cross member bushes and maybe remove the 1/2 a hockey puck and replace with some of the original rubber mount to fine tune it. Good mod though.

tshirt2k likes this.
  18. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It will soften up over time. So a bit of patience and it will probably be about right.

lufbramatt likes this.
  19. GGR

GGR Forum Member

I know this is a massive thread bump, but im an Ice hockey coach and work with u10s age group. The u10s use a softer density puck which is blue in colour and may well be better? might be worth someone trying it with them or a mixture, you could even mix and match to get the stiffness you require. They are the same dimesnions as the adult black puck/
    Unsure what they would be advertised as but the game the u10s play is called x-ice or cross ice as they play across the width of the ice.

Hopefully this maybe of use to someone

Jeffrey97 and mitlom like this.
  20. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

As the front and rear mounts both 'expired' on the Mk3 VR racecar over the weekend at Snetterton I think I may well give this a go :thumbup: