How to: POP THAT SHAVED HATCH (with pics)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dubstardom, Jul 16, 2007.

1. dubstardom New Member

I have had my hatch smoothed (no lock) for the past 2 years. For most of those 2 years I have been putting up with a dodgy solenoid to pop my hatch. The problem is that the solenoid isnt strong enough, is a real pain in the backside to adjust correctly and it also is heavy (which causes the hatch to close on its own). I eventually got frustrated enough that I sought a solution. The solution came from the ClubGTI forums from a guy named Andy947, who suggested using a central locking motor. (http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35666&highlight=green+wire+blue+boot)

[​IMG]

This worked brilliantly, but I needed a switch to make it work. It needed to be a momentary on/off switch and I wanted it to look factory.

Go to pickapart and find a Mk2 with an electric aerial. It should have a momentary on/off aerial switch to make the aerial go up and down. To wire it up firstly join the 2 blue wires (one has a red stripe, the other a white stripe) and connect these to the blue wire of the door lock motor. Secondly, join the brown and red wires and connect these to a 12v power source. Finally connect the green wire of the door lock motor to an earthing point and youre done. Wiring it up this way means that if you push the switch up or down it will make the boot pop. You could wire it so that only pushing down makes it pop, but its up to you.

[​IMG]

To complete the package, use some 1200 grit sand paper to gently remove the aerial sign on the switch. I used some plastic polish to make the switch look like new and now its done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SPERMBANK

SPERMBANK Forum Member

3. golfjunky

golfjunky Forum Member

nice mate, theres kits on the bay goin near the 200 pound mark!!!! what sort of weight can the central locking motor pop?

4. c_a_r_t_e_r Forum Member

An alternative solenoid to use is one from the boot lid of an E36 BMW - that's what I've got in mine. It pulls when the power 12v is live, so makes the linkage wire easier to position - plus it's incredibly powerful! And compact in a square shape so also easy to fit.

There'll be a central locking loom attached in the BMW boot, but you obviously only need the power connector - and the mounting screws are helpful to re-use too.

The clips on the tailgate plastic trim are a nightmare to get off again, otherwise I'd post up a photo...!

Tim.

5. mk28vICED Forum Member

eh...central locking motors are about 12!
    i have one installed but no electrics to it...how the hell can i get a wire round the hatch!

6. dubstardom New Member

The central lock motor pops the boot lock perfectly. It's light weight and is cheap (BMW parts are super expensive here in NZ).

The aerial switch I used for the button has this symbol on it:

[​IMG]

7. Spacemonkey Forum Member

If you have shaved of the wiper, why not wire up the solenoid to the old wiper motor wires, and use the stork that used to operate the rear wiper to pop the solenoid.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Might be a bit easy to pop the boot while you're driving - I'm sure I'd do it!

9. Spacemonkey Forum Member

Fair point. you could all ways put some kind of kill switch under the dash so its only live when you want it to be.

10. REVO_RABBIT New Member

Hi

Does any one know the part number for the on/off aerial switch?

Tried to purchase one at my local V.A.G dealers, they could not find it?

Thanks|

Dean.

11. dubstardom New Member

I will get the part number for you this weekend

12. dubstardom New Member

I have a couple of these switches available. Would be keen to swap them for some UK parts. REVO RABBIT hasn't replied to my PM so it's first in first served.

13. nobbys black beauty New Member

i have asked the question as i used the stork way to pop my boot but i need to change the relay does any one know what one i could use for my 89 gti

14. mk28vICED Forum Member

i still need to wire mine up, would like a proper mk2 dash switch just as this thread shows.
    dubstardom please please please can we have the part number off the switch?
    thanks mate.

15. dubstardom New Member

I've got 2 sitting in front of me here and I can't find a part number on any part of them. The closest I get is some white stamps that read:

on one of them it has a "0" stamped on one side and "42" stamped on the other side.

The other switch has "1H" stamped on one side and "j2" stamped on the other side.

16. mk28vICED Forum Member

fair enough, surely we can just use any mk2 switch and just flick it on and off? a rear heater switch?

17. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Lol at `stork`! :lol: :lol:

It`s spelt `stalk` people!

18. dubstardom New Member

Of course you can use any switch. The only problem is that it needs to be a momentary on-off switch otherwise you will burn out the door motor/solenoid.

PS. I have found another switch which is up for grabs.

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

As mk28vICED says, he`d just flick the switch on then off again, (just like a momentary switch) so it wouldn`t burn the motor out.

Sure you haven`t just got a load of momentary switches you need to get rid of? ;) :lol: :lol:

20. Drew21 Forum Member

I have 20 or so mom on switches (on)-off-(on) that you can have for the postage. Problem is that they're not that beautiful as they're just bog standard toggle switches as sold on ebay.

I only needed one but they came in batches of 20