HOWTO: Corrado 1 touch electric windows

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by rubjonny, Aug 7, 2006.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The Corrado or Passat 1 touch system is controlled by an ECU either behind the rear doorcard or under the raer seat. Becasue the system has a central control box, it will work with any window regulators which have 2 wires, i.e. MK2 :)

You need to source the following from the donor car:
    loom
    switches
    control box

Its easier to use the setup from an earlier car as the switches have plastic holders which are easily fitted to the door cards, the later ones clip into the door pull/speaker pocket so arn't so easy to fit. You're looking for ones like this:
    [​IMG]

Operation:
    Is it normal for nothing to happen if you attempt to press both switches at the same time. It works fine if you press one or the other separately. Also If you activate the 1 touch feature on both switches one after the other, the 1st window will wind all the way down, then the other window once the first has finished.

The driver window has 1 touch up and down, passenger window only has 1 touch down.

The windows will activate with the ignition off and the door open, allowing you to close the windows if you forgot before you took the key out.

Wiring them up is pretty easy if you get the entire loom without cutting it:
    Red - live
    Red/yellow - total closure
    blue/black and black - ignition live
    brown/white - door pin earth
    brown - earth

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. diggerbucket Forum Member

For number (2) this is the way it is designed to work.

Dunno about the rest though unfortunately.

3. rubjonny

cool thanks :)

4. Barkstar Forum Member

If you've got it all wired up correctly you can still shut the windows with the ignition off, but only for a couple of minutes (very handy). And if you have the right central locking unit on the drivers door - could be what that wire is for - when you lock the car it'll shut any open windows! It's the same set up on Mk3 Golfs, Passats and Seat Toledos etc etc
    barkstar [:*:]

5. rubjonny

Ok thats what I assume the red/yellow wire is for. I still don't know how the module knows the ignition is off though, as there doesn't appear to be a wire for it!

6. Steve B Forum Junkie

mie was wire up always on wih the blue wire for the illumination, it is normal for only one window to work at a time

i just earther the brown / white wire i think it was something to do with open doors jus left it seemed to work fine

the red/yellow wire is the closure wire, if you supply 12v the windows will close one by one but will stop closing if the power is taken away so you need a constant 12v o close the windows

the red wire is just the feed for the red / yellow wire so is contantly 12v it would be switched in the door lock and supply the red / yellow wire with 12v when the key is turned

if you want to wire the red / yellow to your alarm it can be easily done with a relay i have the same setup in my car onl all 4 windows you will need a relay and find out which additional extra wire is the timed wire.

also the seat toledo switches can be wired in so you can pt the window switches in the center console where hey should be although the corrado switches do look good in the door cards

7. rubjonny

ok cool thats how i assumed it worked :)

I wonder what difference wiring the white/brown wire to the door switch makes, I can only assume its so the windows dont work when the door is open [:s]

8. Barkstar Forum Member

I'm guessing without a careful look over the wiring diagram but I'd think the control unit has an electronic timer in it to shut off the power a few minutes after the ignition goes off - though that might need a dual feed into the system. Something has to tell the box the ignition is off.

If the windows won't work with the doors open they must be connected into the interior light circuit, the wire to the lock will only be operate the closure system on locking the car if any windows are open.

Which ever way up it's a bit clever.I'm planning to go the same route with my Driver I've got all the electrics on the way I just need to track down a pair of regulators at a sensible price.

Barkstar [:*:]

9. rubjonny

Thats the thing, there are no ignition live feeds to the unit! Perhaps the red/yellow wire sends +ve voltage when the doors are unlocked, -ve when they are unlocked? This way the unit will know if the doors are locked or not, and activate the timer for the window lockout.

On the diagram they ARE connected to the door pin switches, the only reson I can think of for doing this is to stop them from working with the door open, though I can't see any reason why this would be necessary? Safety I guess.
    I earthed the wire in question so the windows work with the doors open atm.

Perhaps the red/yellow wire is part of the timed window lockout?

10. Barkstar Forum Member

Which year did your harness come from? (Mine arrived this evening, and without the ***** control unit which I specifically asked for :thumbd:, blimey there's a lot of wires!)

I have diagrams for a 1990 and a 95 (can get the others) and they look a bit different (but than might just be the way they're drawn). But from what I can see red/yellow goes to the drivers door switch (Lock?). The heavy red cable goes to fuse 52 and the black/blue goes to fuse 14 (this is marked as 'hot on in or start') so this feed is probably switched and powers the control unit which turns the juice from the main cable on and off - which makes sense, once the power to this wire goes off the timer in the unit can keep the power on to close the windows (The system has to have two feeds to work, can't see how it would function otherwise) I'm not sure if the lock switch plays any part in being able to close the windows with the ignition off. I think it just tells the brain to check the windows are closed and the sunroof if you're really flash) If it provided a feed it would need an in and out, unless the door lock switch has a live feed anyway? Then you may be right.

The two brown/white cables which go to the door contact switches, probably the interior light switches but without looking through EKTA or over a Corrado it's hard to tell. Will ETOS tell us if all models use the same control unit - 191 959 875. It would be good to know the system is the same for all models - my head hurts as it is

11. rubjonny

The control unit is the same for all Corrados, 83-92 Passats & the 91-96 Transporter.
    Not only that, its listed for the 84-93 Golf Cabrio, so it looks like the MK1 cabby had 1 touch windows from the factory! Perhaps its a Karmann thing as they made the Corrado as well?

I'm 99.9 % sure the only difference between early/late Rados are the switches :)

This means if you have a 5 door Golf, find a Passat in your local scrappy, the ones without a front grill. They also have leccy mirror switch/loom & motors which work in the MK2 as well!

Anyway I digress!

The red/yellow wire runs to the door switch/alarm module etc, so assume thats for total closure, I crimped a spade on there then taped it up for now. The chunky red wire runs to a spare spade on plug Y on the fusebox, which is constant live. I'm resonably convinced now that the Rado wont let you operate the windows with the doors open, which I assume is a safty feature, I'll have a play with this later on :)

Interesting info about the black/blue wire though! Now you mention it my diagram does indeed show the same as you, it runs from a feed from fuse #14 which is also for the reverse lights & heated washer jets, so I assume this wire is meant to be ignition live!

When I first checked the diagram I noticed the black/blue was the illumination feed for the switches so I wired mine to a handy spare blue/grey spade connector behind the fusebox so my switch lights come on with the dash lights. Looks like this is the missing ignition live feed I've been looking for!

Thing is my windows always work fine with my lights off, so I'm unsure what an ignition live feed would do, I best try switching on my lights and see what happens :lol:

12. rubjonny

Well I tried it with my lights on and it made absolutly no difference!

13. Barkstar Forum Member

You've reminded me now on the Toledo (same set up) the light in the switches came on with the ignition not the lights. So I suspect if you move the black/blue to its correct home all will be well - and if you left it disconnected none of it should work.

Where have you mounted the control unit? Mine's now headed my way :clap:. On the Corrado I've seen reference to it being behind the rear trim panel on the drivers side. And what did you do with all the other wires? The harness is huge and must run everything in the doors on a full spec model - windows, locking, mirrors, mirror heating, speakers etc etc. This isn't going to be a quick job on a Sat afternoon looking at this lot.
    barkstar [:*:]

14. rubjonny

The odd thing is, that that black/blue wire is only live when I switch on the lights. But it makes no difference if the lights are on or off, the windows still work fine! So I dunno what thats all about.

I put the unit behind the driver side rear door card, and drilled a small hole in a bit of sheet metal there and attached the earth with a chunky self tapping screw after filing off the paint. Then I smeared a ton of grease over it to prevent corrosion. I taped the unit to the door card upright support [:$]

If you had a 5 door it would be a bit more tricky, my original plan was to put it under the rear seat but I found I didn't have enough slack to do that!

I ran the harness into the doors as per the original setup, I fitted the electric mirrors, remote central locking and the leccy window loom through the door boot without any problems :)

The main thing you have to worry about is that non of the wires will get in the way of the window when you wind it down!

15. Barkstar Forum Member

I'd guess the point where the loom is plugged in is upstream of the light switches so would be live. So what the lights are doing would be immaterial
    Are you going to go the whole hog and get the right central locking switch and leccy mirrors? I'm sure I've read the fusebox in a Corrado is on the passenger side, if that's right did it cause any problems with fitting the harness?
    And to think I thought I'd go this route because the manual regulator on the passenger side is seized and I though well it can't be that tricky and it would be rude not to really. Looks like it could be a bit of a number.

16. rubjonny

Well I would have thought the black/blue wire does something apart from the lights, since it runs to the control unit as well? Who know! I've given up caring at this point :lol:

I'm not going to bother with the CL switch, as I don't have any locks on my GTI now anyway! I might look into getting it hooked up to my aftermarker remote kit though, we'll see.

I think the fusebox on a Rado is under the driver side of the dash, as per the MK2. Either way it doesn't actually matter as my loom is from a LHD Corrado, and I had no problems. If you can picture it all you do is flip the loom 'upside down' to get it to fit a RHD car :)

Its not really that difficult at all, took me all of an hour to hook it up and that included soldering new connections to the leccy window plugs, fitting the control unit behind the rear door card and completly re-doing all the wiring to the doors (I had to replace the rubber boots as I had some rear door ones, but they are too small and don't fit properly)

I ran the loom a few months earlier when I fitted the new carpets, but it wouldn't be hard with the carpets in place, you would just need to remove the seats as the passenger side loom runs under the carpet just in fornt of where the front & rear split.

17. Steve B Forum Junkie

the blue black wire is for the dash lights if you make it live the lights com on, if you dont the lihts goe off

the red/yellow wire is for the total closure from the key

on the corrado if you hold the key in the locked position the windows go up that is why they are joind to the key hole and lock

on my corrado loom it came with a relay as per the mk2 windows one of which was permanant live the other went to the swithed live on the fuse box

remeber the standard mk2 switchs will not work with a corrado loom you have to get seat toledo ones

my seat toledo loom just streched far eough to et the control box in th boot, but really it should be nder the seat at the back.

also the difference bettween the easrly and late corrado looms are the late corrado loom also shuts the sunroof, the early corrado loom doesnot.

its really easy to install tho so no one should have any problems for four doors use seat toledo or passat etc.

good luk with it

18. rubjonny

I used rado switches and put them in my door cards :)

19. Steve B Forum Junkie

i saw a pic of that done to a mk2 and i thought it looked wicked i must admit also saves having any manual window blanks in your door cards which is even better and the aweful center console is replaced by the standard one which is even even better lol

i have leather door cards tho and didnt want to cut into them incase i sell them glad i dindt now though cause i wouldnthave been able to wired up the rear window switches in the door cards in a neat way

bu on a wo door it looks great how about some pics!

20. rubjonny

Main reason I've done it is so my console is free for some VDO gauges, and I don't have to chop up the rareish leccy window console and can sell it on :)

Pics will follow shortly once I've red LEDed em up [8D]