Ht Leads

Discussion in '16-valve' started by theboysmiffy, Jun 6, 2020.

1. theboysmiffy

theboysmiffy Paid Member Paid Member

Need to get some new HT leads as one has a split in it. A search suggest Beru are the brand of choice but these are proving hard to find. Does anyone have any recommendations for quality leads at reasonable cost?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. davidut5 Forum Member

I got valeo for my 8v, what a waste of money.
    I need plyers to get them off the spark plug.

4. rubjonny

5. Mal C Forum Member

Ive some very good used ones if you need still can check for make message me if you do

6. theboysmiffy

7. nass Forum Member

Why are some of these 16v ht leads different sizes 7mm, 8mm, 10mm ?

Nas

8. rubjonny

marketing mostly, all you need is original spec bosch or beru

9. theboysmiffy

Right so the Beru leads turned up and I swapped them over and took it out for a drive. Just as background to this at the same time I also removed my full interior and fitted a single Recaro PP so was expecting the car to feel faster.

I was surprised that the car felt less keen to rev and seemed to have less pull at the top (peak power @ 7100). Though it was very subtle I was sure the acceleration felt less aggressive especially factoring in the weight reduction which I’d anticipate improving things.

I swapped back to the original leads and I swear I can feel the difference. I know its only the bum dyno so not the most accurate but reckon I am getting a bit of wheel spin in second where I wasn’t with the Beru.

Is this possible, can leads make a noticable difference? Car is running dta s40 and coil pack.

10. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

I swapped from the cheap no brand ones to Magnecor Blue Leads (Had them in-stock and are fairly local so just picked them up) and the difference was very noticeable, especially at the top end. Although I imagine there would be next to no difference if it had good quality leads in the first place.

Personally I know some people hate Magnecor and Phil but personally I found him to be very helpful and the leads are really nice, for basically the same price as Beru ones which I'd have to wait for

11. rubjonny

a spark is a spark so as long as your leads are capable of transferring the ignition voltage from coil to the plugs without losses, you're fine. good quality bosch/beru are just as effective as the all the uprated aftermarket stuff. nothing wrong with the uprated type leads as said, so long as you dont pay a massive premium over the original spec as you wont see any benefit doing so

check your leads are correct fitting for the coilpack you're using for starters, if its not correct fit for VW leads then that wouldn't help

12. theboysmiffy

Both sets of leads are oem spec connectors, I can’t remember which coil pack it is tho it uses standard connections.

I might try the leads again just to double check but I’m fairly sure they didn’t perform as well as the originals. This is obviously hard to measure tho and you know how it is when you are looking for gains or losses your mind can play tricks!