Hydraulic clutch conversion 02A guide/pics?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by jettadan, May 10, 2011.

1. jettadan Forum Member

Hey.

Any pics or guides floating about on the best way to convert a MK1 to hydraulic clutch? I'm going down the 02A route and want to keep the clutch hydraulic, so looking for ideas / info / experience from others on the best way to attack the pedal or indeed replace it with another from the VAG range.

Here's what i've found so far:

M/C fitted through bulkhead:
    KGJ543Y_028.jpg KGJ543Y_031.jpg

Already got this setup donated by Sambo, but seems to push the pedal a bit too high for my liking to ensure theres enough push on the M/C; or

M/C attached to steering column:
    mk1g60017.jpg

normal_Dsc00966.jpg

Issues with this method may include too much flex in the fabbed brackets and the obvious of having the M/C and some pipework within the car. Also unsure if this would interfere with a Corsa P/Steering conversion?

All info / comments / thoughts most welcome please.

Cheers, Dan.

2. Admin Guest

i have the one from crazy quiffs, currently untested by myself but looks solid enough and haven't heard of any issues with it.
    DSC01628.jpg

3. jettadan Forum Member

Cool, very similar to second option then.

TBH i think i prefer that way to the M/C through the bulkhead method, just need to know that it won't interfere with a Corsa P/S conversion.

P.S. What size M/C is it?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. Admin Guest

will have a look next time i'm in the garage for you.

I didn't want anything else mounted on the bulkhead, its a bit tight for space with the 20v in there and one less thing to have cluttered there.

5. Admin Guest

clutch MC is 0.75

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've got an old Reeves Mk1 column here, modified with clutch m/cyl bracket on it. It's really simple to do.

Can take some photos and try to trace around it for bracket profile :thumbup:

7. jettadan Forum Member

Cheers Jon / Chris, appreciated. Should come in handy for others too :thumbup:

8. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

You will not get the CrazyQuiff one or Autocavan one to fit if you have Corsa PS, there is just not enough room. I offered them both up on mine before I fitted the Corsa PS to the mrs cabby.
    I had a through bulkhead solution on mine for a while, was not very sucessful at getting a good pedal travel, so poor clutch operation.

9. jettadan Forum Member

Cheers for the info.

Just been looking for info on the P/S conversion as thats also on the cards, coupled with the quick rack i've got waiting. Crazy Quiffs want 755 for one :o but MK2 Mania close to me want 400, but theirs uses a Corsa B unit for some reason.

Think I need to get the P/S conversion sorted first, then work out the hydraulic clutch pedal.

10. lewp91 Forum Member

why do you need P/S???

if anything isnt the electric steering conversion easier?

11. jettadan Forum Member

Need power steering because i'm fitting a quick rack which makes it bloody hard to steer at low speeds and also will be fitting wider wheels and tyres which will also add to the pain! I know people with this setup and even my mate who's massive struggles with the weight of the steering.

Will be going down the electric power steering route as thats easier than the old Nissan Bluebird hydraulic power steering conversion route.

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Saw a Mk1 20v at All Types today with a super-neat solution;

Polo 6n servo and brake m/c, and rather than have the clutch m/c tapped off the same reservoir, it had it`s own little res. from a motorbike.

Neccesitates using a Polo pedal box of course, but a nice neat option.

13. boraboy Forum Member

willowraf had a polo servo fitted directly in front of the pedal, seems like a good solution.

Would the clutch MC fit next to it, maybe with a U shaped bracket on the side of the pedal?

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  14. jettadan Forum Member

15. be here now Forum Member

some pics off my set up
    DSCF0118.jpg 4501e621.jpg

16. swampy Banned

this is the closest thread i can find

any one have any idea what the thread type is on the clutch cylinder that crazy quiffs supply??

17. GEORGEmk1valver Forum Member

has anyone managed to fit a hydro clutch with electric power steering on the same column?

18. bonus85 Forum Member

I cant comment on the power steering but heres my set up.Not the best pictures but is the vagabonds kit from ebay using a T4 master cylinder. Had a clutch line made up from a guy on ebay (M12 banjo fittings each end)
    clutch line.jpeg
    Again I used a T25 flexi hose inside the bay, with the last bit made up myself from copper line (m12 fittings again). Bulkhead drilled plus a grommet.
    B21F8BD9-5675-479D-9F04-AA4D29859433.jpeg

I used a polo servo which incidentally matches the 4 stud pattern on the mk1, so you can use some of the metal from the original bracket.

It also has a reservoir with a tee off for the clutch fluid, you can see the hose just about connecting to the white bit above.

Getting the servo in there involves a fair amount of welding and panel shaping. At the moment my brake pedal is a bit high, I can adjust that on the clevis.
    F0A81CE8-467A-4D8F-86E7-5C2FF6A1DB4B.jpeg