I know this has been covered but cant find my answer. 02A press flanges on 02J Bolt in diff

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by KJK, Aug 6, 2018.

1. KJK

KJK New Member

Hi sorry guys to raise this topic once again. I have been out of the game about 6 years. I have a 1.8T in my MK2 golf and i have decided to put it back on the road again.

My issues is with the 02A flanges press fit onto the 02J bolt in gearbox. When i research people are just saying you shouldnt do it. However i have the press in flanges 02A fitted to my 02J gearbox which was bolt in.

They are fitted the past 6 years but the car hasnt done alot of mileage and i havent noticed anything either. At the moment the seals have suddenly started to leak around the flanges but the weather here over the winter has been awful and i believed they have perished.The car rarely moves aswell

I just happened to come across the threads where people said not to do it.

Does anyone have an educated answer why you cant use the push on a bolt in diff?

Also sorry for putting into the 1.8T forum i presume most guys in here would know the answer

Ari likes this.
  2. dogzila Forum Member

3. KJK

KJK New Member

From taking it apart the difference besides being bolted in is the seals on the 02J gearbox are 45 inner diameter and that does not match the 02A which has a 40mm flange. I swapped out the seals and my problem is solved

Ari, Tristan and Sirguydo like this.
  4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Thanks for post your fix :thumbup: