i want 180bhp from my 2.0l 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Lod_Dub, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Lod_Dub Forum Member

hi. collecting the final few parts for the engine for my mk1.

im looking for 180bhp, possibly a little bit more. i know its hard to guess what power it will make till i bolt it all up, but i could do with some pointers as to where i could improve my setup.

so far the engine is:

2.0l 9a (full rebuild with knife edged crank, lightend and ballanced)
    KR head (ported and gas-flowed with valve seat job)
    KR cams
    Twin 45 DHLA's (not sure what manifold to go for)
    lightend flywheel
    ashley? 4 branch
    jettex competition system (think its 2.5 inch diameter, 2 boxes, looks pretty beefy)

other bits include TSR catch can, nice uprated leads and plugs, new dizzy, coil etc...

anything else to help me in my goal of 180+ bhp? anyone know a good palce in the east to get it setup?

2. billy_dub Forum Member

Providing the 9A is good....the head and cams will take it to close to 180 i think.
    150 std. with KR cams has proven results on this forum from 160-175.
    a really good head will take you another 10bhp maybe.
    i know nothing about 45's. cetainly add a few horses.

4branch manifold. usually adds power, will certainly backup any head work that is done.

maybe you will be more impressed with the rev'i-ness of the engine being knife edged and lightened etc.

as to get it set up. need someone good with 45's. Stealth always get a glowing report.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Never heard of Stealth setting up carbs tbh but worth a phone call.

If you've got room, go for a longer manifold than the swan neck mangolcrapsi (tm) most people fit , Bill was saying TWM in the states do a nice manifold for DCOES.

I've got 183bhp 150 ft/lb from my 9A with flowed KR head and twin exhaust cams , still running the antiquated k-jet.

Someone off here got their 9A with flowed head,45s and Piper 270s set up at Northampton motorsport recently and got 160ish bhp, you'd expect more really.
    Edited by: G_V_K

4. flusted Forum Member

Go with a tsr 4 branch and k-jet.Carbs are only guna suck in loadsa hot air from the rad and loss power

5. Michael Ghia Forum Member

G_V_K,
    Who flowed your head for you?
    Chers
    Mike

6. billy_dub Forum Member

@ GVK.
    I just assumed that in their years of being ther that they would do such a task.
    glowing reports on what they do normally. never really thunked about carbs b4.

my fault.

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

A little old bloke in a stable who does heads for quite a few people in the VW scene.

8. chrismc Forum Junkie

4 branch manifolds seem to give good gains on Valvers! I know TSR swear by them as an essential mod to a "breathed on" valver...

With it all being lightened & balanced with a flowed head id suggest a pair of Schrick cams to make use of the reviness too. That should see you safely to 180+BHP :)

9. Sam Wyatt Forum Member

My 2.0 16v puts out 186 bhp with 172 ft/lb with just a flowed/skimmed KR head uprated cams and a 4-2-1 manifold with full exhaust system. The 9a has only done 48k though ;)

10. Lod_Dub Forum Member

its going in my mk1, so room for a longer intake manifold might prove difficult, but ill have a look and do some measuring. i have heard bad things about the cheap ones.

i still really cant decide if i want to change the cams. think ill leave the KR's in, get it set up, use it for a while, then possibly get some schrick's when i next have the carbs set up on the rolling road.

anyone got any ideas for getting cold ait too the carbs? my radiator is a 16v item and is as far toward the battery as it will go. but im sure when the engine is in, at least one of the carbs is going to get hot air passed from the radiator.... maybe some heat shielding? again, space is going to be a problem...

thanks for all the info so far.

11. rradogolfman Forum Member

K jet, flowed head, shrick cams, 4 branch, & 2 1/2 inch exhaust, Get vince to set it up and you will have 180 no probs, your pretty well there just ditch those carbs and put some shricks in,,

12. Lod_Dub Forum Member

ditch the carbs?

might start a poll, i thought the carbs where good for a few more bhp? better throttle response?

13. Lod_Dub Forum Member

forgot to mention, i have looked on the TWM price list, and they only list the inlet manifold for DCOE 40's. im going to email them and ask if they do one for 45's.

actually, they have sold the manifold licence to Pierce manifolds, so ill be emailing them insted.

cant i get these manifolds from the UK?

14. rradogolfman Forum Member

valvers an carbs never seem to produce good power, if your after throttle respose throttle bodies are the way to go, however they are pricey!! if not your better off sticking with good old K jet,

15. Lod_Dub Forum Member

strange, seems like a very popular conversion [:s]

think ill run it with the 45's and see how much power i make. can allways change back if i dont get on with them.

any more pooinions on which is better, twin 45's or the K-jet?

thanks

Lloyd

16. GTI

GTI Forum Member

you'll get some amount of fuel economy with k-jet.
    carbs are for your grandad.

17. rradogolfman Forum Member

vellys car has never produced decent power (yet) ;) , ask him about carbs,, ;) he prob knows more bout them than allot of us, truth is i dont see it, why go back in technology? [8-}]
    Edited by: rradogolfman

18. Lod_Dub Forum Member

anyone got and rolling road graphs on a 2.0l 16v on k-jet, and one running twin 45's?

cheers

19. flusted Forum Member

Carbs are normaaly used to make the conversion easier rather than gain power. k-jet all the way ;)

20. H8SV8S Forum Member

There's nothing wrong with carbs. Some of quickest drag cars in the world run high quality carbs, like Holleys. Just not many people (including myself) have any idea how to set them up properly.

If you're chasing a figure, I'd look at having the motor rebuilt if it's done high mileage. Other than that, the parts you list should make 175-180hp on a fair dyno.