i want 180bhp from my 2.0l 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Lod_Dub, Dec 15, 2004.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

There are 2L valvers out there making over 200hp on webbers so they do work just fine if set up right with a good engine behind them.

And webbers dont go out of tune that quickly.

But for sure nowadays, TB's are the way to go.

Rob

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

Where are they all Rob?? Im guessing they are race engines....

My car made 198BHP @ 6800 with a peak of 158lbs/ft when MattD had it set up @ Stealth

9A block, Schrick 268/276, Flowed head, 4 branch, Supersprint GpA with Badger 5 ITBs & DTA management..

So a carb fed motor can make somewhere between the outputs of our own big-budget motors?? :o

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Nope, not what I would call race engines, but certainly good fast road engines

Nick Wilson had a 2L 16V with warm cams, head and webbers and this was 210-215hp I believe

There was a really nice oak green Mk1 with ATS cups on it and a cage - saw it in the golf mag and also at a show and a trackday - 2L 16V, warm spec and on webbers, built by AMD I seem to remember - 210hp

These are peak figs of course - TB's, if set up right, will beat them on flexibility anyday but probably will be no better for peak numbers

My old engine supposedly made 217hp when first TB'd (276's, head, balanced std bottom end). This fell to 200hp over 2yrs hard use - started to loose compression and on stripdown, one piston was starting to fall apart on top ringland. (200hp was measured on RR day when other good 16V's on Kjet were making low 190's)

I have in the past run my car at Stealth and my local rollers and the resluts were 1hp different.

Personally, I think there's more to come from your engine.

Rob

4. barny Forum Member

One thing to bear in mind - different rollers different days diff powers

went to my local rollers after fitting the abf (i.e totally standard spec) and it "hit" 186bhp !!

went to stealth some time later and got 160ish .....

Been to stealth ever since

5. chrismc Forum Junkie

Good to know mine may have a bit more left in it...

I know the block has next to no miles on it & it was set up to run on 95RON fuel..

May speak to Vince on Sunday re: booking it in for another play!!

Would be nice to top 200BHP on Sunday...but im guessing Il need more than 3 cylinders firing...which was alll it managed earlier [:^(]

6. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

You wanna remove the rabbit from number 4 then! :lol:

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Rodents nesting in the ram pipes chris? :lol:

Had a Focus in with misfire this afternoon, P0302 DTC logged (no2 cyl misfire)

GVK "Ahh, it'll be the coil pack, always is"

opens bonnet..." :o "

Some rodent had been in there and chewed through the no2 plug lead :lol: :lol: Had nibbled no1 too [:D]

8. tomstickland New Member

Carbs require a knowledgeable tuner to set them up properly. If set up properly consumption will be mid 20s. Regular tune ups are not required. The carbs might require balancing, a5 minute DIY job with a carbtune kit.

Programmable management is the way to go. But, carbs can deliver the goods in terms of torque, power and engine pick up. They will offer a gain over a plenum based injection system just due to improved volumetric efficiency. I don't know the VW engines well, so it might be that they give rather unexciting results if just bolted onto a standard 16v engine.

9. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

I have a rodent problem in my car at the moment. I found another chewed up acorn in the boot this morning [:x] You'd think they'd learn after the last one drowned :lol:

10. davey j Forum Member

Ahhhhh, Mr Stickland. Welcome aboard. Did not think it would be long before you made an appearance with the Jetta! :lol:

11. Dogwood Forum Member

Mr Stickland is spot on on all counts. There is very little to be found peak power wise bolting carbs on a standard 16v. There are gains in torque though provided you keep the choke size sensible. A k-jet 9a with good head, schrick 276 cams, really nice 4-2-1 manifold and system made 200bhp at Well Lane. It had naff all till 5 grand though. A same spec motor with carbs makes a sniff more peak power, but has tons more mid range. A same spec motor running 83mm pistons with 11.8:1 cr and carbs makes 210+ peak with more mid range again.

12. prof Forum Addict

what revs? was that matey, any dyno plots to have a shufty over?

I wonder why the carbs make more midrange? the long 16v manifold is supposed to aid torque at lower revs. is it due to the more direct air passage/tuned length or fuel droplet size? anyone know?

better go read my engine theory book again [:$]

13. mark25 Forum Junkie

i can see carbs being more responsive, there's quite a volume between the valves and metering head on the k-jet.

14. prof Forum Addict

yep that makes sense, but actually making more torque....?

15. mark25 Forum Junkie

I would hazard a guess that the larger droplet size, due to the carb's poor atomisation could be playing a part there.

16. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

How would that work then? I would think larger droplets would take longer to combust than a more finely atomised vapour, or is that the point - combustion chamber pressure increases more steadily through the 'bang' stroke instead of a sharp smack into the piston at near TDC, and this is better for overall torque?

17. Dogwood Forum Member

Prof, that engine peaked at 7250 but only dropped off a little up to 7700 limit. It's in the green mk1 mentioned previously in the link. The guy Chris who has it now had it set up again not so long ago and it was still doing 210bhp after 6yrs of graft.

18. Dogwood Forum Member

Forgot to mention. Amd built the engine but Stealth spookily had an exact same spec engine on their stand at Inters the same year that they were quoting 210bhp for as well.

19. mk1. Forum Junkie

used to run 13 sec 1/4`s iirc :p

20. prof Forum Addict