Identifying a 2.0 8v bottom end, help

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Tristan, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I picked up a 2.0 engine, for a mates mk2. Just trying to identify it, the casting is rusty where the engine code usually is, so I'm not sure what it is.
    It has a crank trigger wheel, and the inlet mani has coolant fed through it, with a single throttle plate facing to the driver's side. Any other things to help identify if it's a 2e, AGG, Ady etc? I don't know if it was in a mk3 or Corrado.

TIA

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

3. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Most probably an AGG if it has an internal trigger wheel, it will also have a cast crank. Fine for road and fast road use, but wouldn't use on in a race engine.

These seem to be the most plentiful ones available these days.

2E is nice, has a forged crank, but rare now.

All seem fully inter-changeable, they all seem to have all the lugs and drillings required for just about any fitment.

4. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

2E has no internal triggerwheel

TonyB likes this.
  5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If it has a trigger wheel, then it is either a ADY or AGG.

Tony are you speaking about the crank material or the stamped trigger?

6. Tristan

Could that be AGG.....? [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

7. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Crank material. The pressed tin things are obviously ok for road use (who am I to tell VW how to design an engine), and possibly for race use IF its left undisturbed or the fixing are replaced and torqued up properly. They seem to fail when taken over their designed limits and/or fiddled with.

Same applies to cast crank, clearly ok for the use it was intended.

AGG's are cheap as chips still at the moment so a good buy.

8. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Does in matter what it is Tristan, they are all pretty much the same. Certainly a latter one, so 99% will have a cast crank, but nothing wrong with them, just given the choice nice to have a forged crank (lighter/stronger). ABF and 2E cranks are identical except the ABF has the internal trigger, actually TFSI is identical as well, except it the longer nose on it!

In fact the 2.0ltr 8v and 16v blocks are interchangeable as well :)

The thing to check is does it have 2.0 or 1.8 on the back of the block, the later 1.8's look identical on first inspection! To be sure just measure the stroke and bore, 2.0ltr will be 92.8mm stroke.

Of course, depends what you intend doing with it.

9. Tristan

Oh definitely 2.0 Tony, stamped on it, and I measured.... It's for a fun road car that might see an odd trackday. Won't see high rpm, it's staying on hydro tappets.

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

My experience with this is, cast cranks for the EA113 are also used in some TFSI and all FSI versions. Some folk actually use the FSI cranks on 'stroker' 20v engines. I actually used an AGG crank in my WOLF R and still have the same crank to this day in the engine. I did not buy into the myth about their reduced durability from the internet. They must be less durable than a forged unit, but not at our grassroots level.

Pressed trigger wheel, you are correct. Most failures stem from attempting to remove and reuse the part and the fasteners which are one use only. It was the same part fitted to the 8000rpm ABF motor fitted to the GrpA Golf Mk3. In addition VR engines and 1.8Ts run the pick up. My own sleeper, with it's tuned ABF motor has covered 70k on two engines with the stock undisturbed pick up.
    I have seen reports of limited failures of that part but because they are so isolated in the grand scheme of things, that you have to think user error has a major part as the root cause.

11. Tristan

My old mum often is heard to say, "oh if he had brains he'd be dangerous!" .
    Guilty as charged.... What's the most obvious way of identifying a mk3 on era engine? Yes, the sticker on the timing belt cover. Doh!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk