idler pulley on water pump??

Discussion in '16-valve' started by marky123, Jan 10, 2009.

1. marky123 Forum Member

Hi guys,

I have a whilstling bearingy sound coming from the alternator belt area, i have changed the alternator and the whistling is still there. There is a sort of pulley that sits over the water pump - like an idler or guide pulley for the alternator belt.

Does anyone know what this pulley is called and where i could get one?

Thanks, Mark.

PS its a 88 16v with power steering.

PPS i've already had the belts and covers off and checked the timing belt and tensioner and it's not them making the noise.

2. andydavy New Member

As you say, it's probably the idler pulley that's making the noise. Thankfully it's easy to get rid of completely, as VW had the sense to redesign the pulley arrangement on later 16V engines.

The only parts you need for this swap are: 051 145 255 for the power steering pulley and 027 121 031 for the waterpump pulley.

Have a look at this post on the Corrado forum HERE

Cheers,
    Andy

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
    Patrick M Chiaudano likes this.
  3. cuppatea

cuppatea Forum Member

water pump pulleys

sorry to bring up an old thread, but i just wanted to confirm something as ive discovered my water pump idler pulley is well and truly fried on my KR.

to do away with the standard idler pulley on the w.p, do i just need the two pulleys as described in the above post and thats just it? can i re-use my current vee belts? and can i use my current pas pump? a genuine idler is around 50 but id like to get rid of it all together and tidy things up a bit.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

4. davidwort Forum Member

the original KR setup (to about late 1990) runs one belt around the idler pulley to the alternator and a second belt drives the PAS pump and water pump

the revised setup (1991 KR and 9A 2.0L) uses a shorter belt to drive just the PAS pump and with removing the idler and replacing the drive pulley on the water pump now the alternator and water pump are driven from the inner belt

I think the later setup usually uses a PAS pump with a longer shaft, so the outer crank mounted v belt pulley is different and sticks out more.

late style water pump pulley you need is 027 121 028

late PAS pump v belt pulley 051 145 255

late crank PAS pulley 051 105 255
    (it's possible you only need this for the later PAS pump with the different hub/pulley offset)

5. cuppatea

cuppatea Forum Member

w/p pulley idler

thanks for the reply thats great, now for some pulley shopping.

cheers :thumbup:

6. Patrick M Chiaudano New Member

Why does the power steering pulley need to be replaced on this setup? Just curious? I can find the waterpump pully inline but that number you list for the Power steering pump pulley is looking hard to find, so I just want to see if I can use the pulley that is already on the car?

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

becasue the crank pulley is a little bit deeper so belt clears, the pas pulley is more dished to suit. could perhaps make something up with spacers