IE Rods

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by Chris_mk4_golf, May 21, 2012.

1. Chris_mk4_golf New Member

Bill do you install these with the bearing tangs exhaust side or intake side?

Cheers

2. danster Forum Addict

Just in case Bill does not see this immediately. The conrods should be installed so the tangs on the big end shells are positioned on the inlet side (front) of the 20vT engine.
    The OEM rods have a raised area on the cap and rod that should be on the timing belt side when fitted and this helps orientate them.
    And of course later OEM rods go to tangless shells so you may not have been able to see this.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. Chris_mk4_golf New Member

I've been given conflicting information and have installed them exhaust side on 20vt
    Both tangs are on the same side will this cause issues?

4. danster Forum Addict

Both tangs should be on the same side. :thumbup:
    It is imperative that the rods and their respective caps are not mixed up in anyway as they are align bored to their finished size.
    In the event of accidental mixing of components it is usually possible to check which cap went on which rod by carefully looking at the hone marks in the rod journal. The lines are like a barcode and unique. Also a tiny lip can be felt at the intersection between cap and rod if they are mismatched.

All VW engines I have come across have the tangs on the front side of the block. From mk1 to mk4 the manuals state this. It is probably to do with the thrust forces exerted during the power stroke.
    I can't see IE rods having some unique differences that mean they run the other way round, but you better confirm just in case.

5. Chris_mk4_golf New Member

Both the tangs are on the exhaust side of the block exactly how it came off

None of the rods have been mixed up they were all done individually

What im concerned about is that ive put them on how them came off and some people are saying the inlet, like yourself, and other are saying exhaust. Then theres a smaller minority saying it doesnt matter!

Also a guy whos built his this way has his running now and its fine :S

Worst case scenario i leave them as they are what will happen?

6. danster Forum Addict

A quick google found this image. Remember the engine is upside down when looking at the rods from underneath, so it flips 180 deg when you turn it back the right way up.
    You can just see the tangs on number 1 cylinder conrod in this pic, and you can also see the trigger wheel, oil filter, and turbo oil drain to confirm orientation.
    [​IMG]

7. Chris_mk4_golf New Member

Yeh i know they are 100% on the exhaust side as i was working on it upside down with the oil pump on the left and put the tangs to the bottom

8. Chris_mk4_golf New Member

This is the email I just got from backdraft Motorsport

Hello Chris,

It doesn't matter which way they are orientated but the set must all be done
    the same way. Either all facing the intake side or all facing the exhaust
    side. And make sure the rod caps go on the original rod they came from with
    the tangs on the same side.

I hope that helps.