Instrument cluster mk2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Paul steadman, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Paul steadman Paid Member Paid Member

Hello all ,
    I have recently purchased a1990 mk2 gti 8v , the Rev counter and mfa display do not work so looking for advice please , would I be better off getting someone to remove the unit and repair it or just find a second hand one and change it over , please bare in mind I no mechanic and will have to find and pay someone to do it for me , also can I change the mileage clock to keep my original mileage , thanks in advance

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does the MFA work as a clock at least or is it totally blank? can you see any bleed on the mfa screen? do the rest of the warning lights work ok with the ignition? often pulling the cluster fuse or battery negative terminal for 30 seconds fixes a bad MFA, its #21 if you have ce2 fusebox (hazard switch on column) if its ce1 (hazard switch on dash) then you pull fuse #3. Either way the MFA screen should go blank, if so you got the right fuse :)

as for mileage if speedometer works fine you just swap that over to the new clock set then no need to mess about fiddling with the mileage

3. Paul steadman Paid Member Paid Member

Hi thanks for the reply , MFA totally blank no bleed , everything else’s works except rev counter , I have all warning lights and dash light , hazards on column

4. Paul steadman Paid Member Paid Member

Update to my woes !!
    by messing around with fuse number 21 the MFA has come back to life yay !! and the rev counter flickers on and off intermittently any ideas to kick start the rev counter back to life , thanks in advance

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a look here, put it in the secret mode and see if your digital rev counter goes off same as the needle does:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-access-the-mfa-secret-menu.219196/

theres an earth on the side of the head for the cluster too its a brown/white wire, check thats all good. theres another for the ecu here as well so well worth checkign that too while you're at it

give fuse 16 a look as well that supplies the ignition feed to cluster and if loose will make it intermittently switch off