INSURANCE FOR 17 YEAR OLD on MK2 GOLF

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by tommehh1, Aug 27, 2015.

1. tommehh1 New Member

Hi,

I have recently had my 17th birthday and have started to have lessons. Before my birthday, my dad bought me a 1991 MK2 1.6 Driver, which I was really looking forward to drive. Just after my 17th, my dad got quite a few quotes from different insurance companies, the lowest being 4500 a year. My dad sat me down and told me we would have to sell it :thumbd: He said that instead we'll have to get something "boring" as it were, a corsa or ka, or just something cheap on insurance until im a bit older and my insurance will hopefully go down. I've not really given up on the idea of a MK2 golf though, and was wondering if anyone knows roughly the insurance on an unmodified 1.3 for someone my age. Also what's confusing me is classic car insurance, because it seems you are very limited in terms of your allowed mileage on it. So in short what would the insurance be for a 17 y/o on a 1.3 MK2 using it as a daily driver?

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it probably wouldnt be much less, but its worth ringing around to see. most sites will let you put 1.3 mk2 into the selection box rather than a reg so you can easily cvheck anyway! might be worth looking at quotes for older mk2/f polos, still get the old skool experience but for a bit less!

thing is though, you want to be driving summat rubbish, cheap and throwaway for a few years while you get some driving experience. plus something thats a bit beefy in case you do crash (and chances are, you will!) driving a dull modern car shouldnt stop you from getting into the vw scene, if you want to turn up to meets and chat with the regulars then feel free to do so even if you've not got a VW. maybe look at something like a lupo, then at least it'll have the right badge on it ;)

3. rubjonny

my first car was a 1.6 driver, they are great cars! but i didnt pass till i was 23, combo of northern tightness and lazyness. I crashed it the day after I passed my test, luckily it was only a carpark ding that trashed the passenger front door. it was the only rotten panel on the car so it was for the best I suppose :lol:

4. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

...............job,location etc all play a big part in insurance quotes. My son got a 2.0 Scrirocco GT at 20 years old & with me as a named driver it was 875.00.

5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I was the same as i was looking to get one for my first car, my dad got me a polo instead and the insurance on that is pretty cheap now, if i don't declare mods (which i do) so it's about 1800 a year but i'm 19 and passed 3 months ago. I'm looking to get a 1.6 driver now as it's cheaper to insure than my polo! [:D]

I'd put it into storage and wait man :)

6. spenna Forum Member

Try Direct Line. I got insured on a Golf mk2 1.3L at 17 for just under 2 grand. Make sure you call them as well because sometime you get it cheaper!

Ed

7. rubjonny

also if you plan to do any mods at all, be sure to check they allow it! I was with direct line at first and after swapping lights and alloys over I phoned them and found out they didn't allow any mods so I had to cancel the policy and switch to greenlight. They then stopped allowing mods a couple years later so I had to switch to HIC :lol:

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

God insurance when your young has gone up a lot. I paid 725 on a golf gti mk1 when I was 18

It's does get better tho, I've just paid 230 fully comp on a mk6 Golf GTi