iRacing?

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by velly_16v_cab, Mar 16, 2015.

1. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

It's been a while since i've posted on CGTI but the last year I have ditched my PS3 and took up PC gaming. My new love is iRacing.
    Laser scaned tracks and some of the best racing i have done online. (you still get a few idiots)

Anyone else tried this, it isnt cheap but worth every penny if you want to RACE!

[video=youtube;Qpx0sY-tOU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpx0sY-tOU8[/video]

[video=youtube;0vZyKzgWRSQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vZyKzgWRSQ[/video]

[video=youtube;u9yZPSPHziM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yZPSPHziM[/video]

We are currently racing GT3's
    [video=youtube;I6WSUgkGcPg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6WSUgkGcPg[/video]

[​IMG]

2. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

what sort of spec computer do you need to run this game?

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I will be looking to get into this when I have time to justify the cost. I have a high spec PC as I don't think it's too demanding Dave, But how does it compare to modern day sim's/games?

4. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Just looking at it on their web site and my macbook air will be more than up to the job!

Will need to upgrade my gaming steering wheel but what's the score with the membership? I see it's on offer at the moment $89.50 for 2 years but thats for the basic membership (can't find any other type of membership tho). What does that basic get you and would you need to upgrade your membership soon and if so what are the costs and what do you get?

Very interested in this because at times I don't find GT5 realislic and would like more local tracks to learn before I actually go on them myself.

5. velly_16v_cab

Hi Dave,
    Basic membership gives you a handful of cars and tracks (see here http://www.iracing.com/membership/ )

There is two ways to race,
    1 - the official iRacing series
    2 - in hosted session (like in GT5/GT6) this is where you race your mates on make your own leagues.

For official Road Racing you start off in the MX5 Cup car as a Rookie, clean racing (no car contact, off tracks or spins) will increase your Safety Rating (SR) and iRating. Once you have competed in a minimum number of official races (4 i think) and get your SR to over 3.0 (it starts at 2.5) you can get promoted to the next licence.
    Rookie>D Class>C Class>B Class>A Class>Pro!)

D Class gives you more options to race and this is where you will need to buy a few more tracks.
    Choices
    Skip Barber (like a formula Ford)
    Spec Ford Racer (you get this car with membership)
    GT3 Endurance Team Racing (in GT3's plus you need to join a team)
    Global Challenge ( Racing the Free Caddy V8 or a FWD kia (which you need to buy)
    Grand Touring Cup (Mustang and Jetta which you need to buy or solstice which is free)

If you race hosted session you can race any car and any track you like. but to advanced you official ratings you need to do official races.

The year is cut up into 3, 12 week seasons, final season being 6 weeks (i think)
    I started off doing a season in the rookie, once i got my d class i was racing the Spec Ford Racer, V8 Caddy and Solstice when ever i could in the D Classes on the free tracks.
    The start of the next season I bought the tracks I needed to compete in the Full Official Spec Ford Racer season and raced that every week (while still playing in the others)
    Side note,
    If you complete a 8 of the 12 weeks in a official season you will get 4 bucks (yes, you earn money!)

I have forked out about 60 bucks every 12 weeks and bought tracks and a few cars, well worth the money for the quality of racing which you DO NOT get in GT5/6 public rooms.

If someone is ramming, bumping or wreaks you on purpose you can file an official complaint. This is to make the racing as clean as possible.
    Don't get me wrong, the rookies are tough as there is some bad drivers in there but once you get out of the lower splits (splits, if 80 drivers enter an official race the race will split into 8 grids of 10 racers all grouped by there irating. so all the low irating are together and not mixed with high rating drivers)

Sorry to go on so much, there is alot to explain! lol
    Over all I do enjoy my racing and I have just bought triple monitors (now need to update my pc!)

there are many things also happening in the back ground...
    most recent updates March 12th 2015
    - started reworking appearance of the whole opening post (timemarks, integrated links, cleaner look)
    - removed NASCAR trucks from list (released)
    - removed Monza from track list (released)
    - added Rockingham Motor Speedway (UK) to signed tracks (road and oval)
    - merged Updates- and Features-sections since its hard sometimes to differ between them

a bit older updates:
    - added McLaren MP4-30 (2015 F1 McLaren Honda) to carlist
    - Five Flags Speedway is in production and should be released in June 2015
    - added preview shots of Nrburgring and some progress informations
    - Nrburgring will be the next road track after Monza => BEFORE Imola

Cars:
    - Aston Martin DBR9 (GT1) (signed):
    Sep-11:2014: Announcement of Aston Martin deal
    Nov-13-2014: some Astons scanned, no information which one
    - Aston Martin Vantage GT3 (signed):
    - Aston Martin ??? (total of four Aston Martins were signed):
    - BMW One Series NGTC (signed):
    Dec-20-2012: BMW deal announced
    Dec-21-2012: exchanged 3 Series for 1 Series)
    Nov-13-2014: partnering with BTCC, getting data is difficult
    - BMW E92 M3 GT2/GTE (signed):
    Dec-20-2012: BMW deal announced
    Dec-22-2012: E92 M3 GT2 announced
    - Corvette DP: (signed)
    Mar-24-2014: signed and trying to get data
    - Honda Civic NGTC: (signed)
    May-11-2012: Honda deal announced
    Aug-16-2013: challenging to get data but possible
    Sep-12-2013: finally getting scan data from a team
    Nov-13-2014: partnering with BTCC, getting data is difficult
    - McLaren MP4-30: (2015 F1 McLaren Honda)
    Mar-02-2015: expected for late summer
    - Mazda MX5 Cup: (new version)
    Jan-15-2015: iRacingTV-show about Mazda MX5 competition
    - Ruf CTR 3:

Road tracks:
    Actually being worked on:
    - Imola:
    Feb-24-2015: Imola will be out AFTER Nrburgring
    - Nrburgring GP + Nordschleife:
    Feb-24-2015: Nrburgring will be released BEFORE Imola

scanned:
    - Miller Motorsports Park (possible tech track)
    - Moroso:
    - Silverstone
    Jul-26-2012: REscanned
    - Tsukuba:
    - Willow Springs International Motorsports Park

signed:
    - Croft Circuit:
    - Mallory Park:
    - Rockingham Motor Speedway UK:
    - Snetterton:
    - Thruxton Circuit:
    - rescaning Lime Rock (on the list to do at some point)
    - mysterious unannounced tracks: (Montgomery Motor Speedway one of them)

So plenty to think about...sorry again for rambling on. I am happy to answer any questions.

oh yeah, if you do sign up, if you refer a current member they will get 10 bucks. If if a load of you sign up, refer each other and get 10 bucks back.

Velly - This must be my biggest post EVER!

mat-mk3 likes this.
  6. velly_16v_cab

Matt, iRacing is at the top of its game.
    Looks, it is not as pretty as P-Cars or AC but the tracks are Laser Scanned so 100% detailed prefect!
    Sounds - much better that GT6! It is maybe top 2 (I think AC is better)
    Feel - again, one of the best. but you do need to learn about setting up your wheel (i can share plenty of tips on this to make it easy)
    online race - 100% the best

This is why some many professional racers use iRacing. Many of the V8SC drivers here in Oz use it.
    Also the Oval racers use it too because of the correct detail of the laser scanned tracks.

I know the GT Academy guys are doing well around the world. But 5 of the 6 Aussie GT Academy guys are all iRacers and use that more the GT6 lol

Yes it is expensive to start with but I paid 90bucks for GT6 when it came out and I wish i spent it on iracing now!

7. velly_16v_cab

ok, one more post

To celebrate this new partnership iRacing is offering a special 3-month membership for only $5 for new members a more than 80% savings. New members can use promo code PR-SROMG at www.iracing.com when signing up.

so 3 months for 5 bucks...turn off auto renew in your settings....wait a week or two and iracing will offer you a year @ 50% ;)

worth thinking about for 5 bucks!

8. velly_16v_cab

Free/discounted credits
    - one can get $5 anniversary credit for a year's continuous membership.
    - Complete 8 out of 12 weeks in a C or D series and get $4 credit at the end of the season [offer 1]
    - Complete 8 out of 12 weeks in an A or B series and get $7 credit at the end of the season [offer 2]
    - Combine offers 1 and 2 above to a maximum of $10 per season, 4 seasons = $40 per year.
    - Twice a year iRacing offers $100 of credit for $75 or $25 of credit for $20
    - Twice a year iRacing offers a year's membership for $49
    - Buying cars/tracks in packs of 3 or 6 will get you discounts.

9. velly_16v_cab

Has anyone joined?

Here is come clips from our Bathurst race

[video=youtube;g1wWr8x-KsE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1wWr8x-KsE[/video]

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It's like watching TV!!

velly_16v_cab likes this.
  11. AjVR Forum Member

I am on Iracing but always just use the test modes :thumbd:

I find it a bit confusing on the current servers running and trying to find a "quick" race.

Still quite a few UK tracks not supported- I emailed them & although they have already scanned quite a few extra they are in no rush to release them at all.

12. velly_16v_cab

yes there is a few track they have the license for but not released. I am sure we will see some soon

In game
    Donnington
    Silverstone
    Oulton Park
    Brands Hatch

Scanned
    Rockingham Motor Speedway
    Silverstone (rescanned)

signed but not scanned
    Croft Circuit:
    Mallory Park:
    Snetterton:
    Thruxton Circuit:

don't be scared of racing, once you know the track goto the official races

Depending on what class you are will depend on what you can race. I am b class on road so can race most things.

13. richie K Forum Member

I used to be on Iracing all the time. Me and a friend used to play it.
    Circumstances meant I haven't been on of ages. Still keep my PC up to spec though, and have a full seat and Fanatic Wheel rig hidden away upstairs. I may have to dust it all off.

Richie K

14. velly_16v_cab

I thought i would bump this...i am still loving online racing using iracing on the pc. things have moved on alot

[video=youtube;T0s0UNfobz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0s0UNfobz8[/video]