Is it worth going Crossflow?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by madasafish100, Dec 14, 2010.

1. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

Here goes nothing.................................

[​IMG]

2. danster Forum Addict

Ace Venturi Jet Detective is available for hire. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Admin Guest

The figures look good glad you are happy and with the potential of more to come :thumbup:

How does it feel to drive compared to the old BVH? can you feel any difference? It was a shame you never had this dynoed as a baseline.

Its not really in the same spec as my standard comp engine so i think comparisons are a little off, and as mentioned dynos tend to not be relevent to one another. But if we are comparing, it made 4LBFT less than a certain stock ABF and around 27BHP...

[​IMG]

4. danster Forum Addict

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bigger lure required smudge!! :lol:

5. madasafish100

hahaha Dan where do you find this stuff? :lol:

Smudge, this result is the base line of my counter flow BVH engine.

The x flow is still to come.

As for being lean top end, your spot on. Its running lean through out the revs more so top and bottom end, if i were to spend a couple hours getting it fine tuned i rekon this set up is good for around 160bhp with a tad more torque.

I think how ever i will hold on that and put the x flow into action as the 's for the tuning to this will all help towards the other head.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

WTF...
    Oh dear...
    <goes and starts anchor powered 2v/cyl for comparison drive>

Seriously though...

That is a very choppy torque curve. Would have expected it to be more consistant between engine speed points. With simple tuning that could be made to look much better, which in turn will result in a changed drive feel. I would not try to target numbers with data like this, that would come, just try to get all those dips solved.

Still on this dyno this would be your baseline.

Thanks for posting the plot up.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. Admin Guest

Good :p Thats what I would hope to see from BVH with all the extras. Are you still going to put the crossflow on? im looking forward to seeing what it will pull, it might struggle to match your BVH. But I have never played with one. Really glad you baselined it. :clap:

8. madasafish100

I think i have finally learnt not to mention 8v power figures in a positive manor :p

As mentioned before the set up on there at the minute shown in this plot needs work, it is not finalised and there is room for improvement to smoothen out the torque curve.
    At the minute its running a bit too lean, with a touch too much ignition advance to be perfect.

I was always going to get it base lined i just didnt have time before xmas when this thread first took shape.

The head in there at the mo only has enlarged exhaust valve of 35mm, the inlet is still the std 40mm item.:thumbup:

Im pretty sure the x flow will go on early to mid summer. Hey if it all goes tits up you can all just say i told you so and we can have a laugh about it, then e bay is just at the click of a button.[:D]

9. wippy748s Forum Member

Just an update on my friends mk1 crossflow, most of the mapping is complete after the head rebuild and upping of the compression and the car is transformed, im estimating around mid 180bhp but will know for sure once its been on the dyno