Is this a Golf MK1 Gti Speedo Clock? / VSS Questions

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bmouthboyo, Aug 23, 2018.

1. bmouthboyo Forum Member

I have this clock in my campervan which is not standard and I am having issues trying to fit a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) which I need for a MK3 AGG conversion.

It originally had a MK1 GTI DX engine so wonder if the clocks came from that? Anyone recognise it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see my VSS doesn't fit so looking to either adapt it so it does or if all else fails maybe replace the clock. Could I cut the metal blocking the sensor as it should look like this?

[​IMG]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looking at your speedometer it looks to have a casing which is designed for a VSS but I dont see a trigger wheel inside for it to pick up from

the 2nd set looks like it will take a VSS, just need to look at the cluster to see if the PCB foil has the connection for it.

but I dont think you even need to worry, AFAIK the AGG ECU doesn't need the VSS to run properly its just used for the MPG signal output from the ecu? Eddie/Toyotec will know this one for sure.

Even if you do need a VSS signal you may find the signal makes things worse rather than better, the AGG ECU expects to see around 6000 pulses per mile but your cluster suggests the van will send around 3200

3. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Your info is gold as usual :)

Can you confirm these are Golf clocks I have?

The second set are from someone with known VW T25 clocks so not mine, I only have the one clock shown first. It does have a metal wheel I can see through the hole but not sure if one that works with a VSS sensor like this.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1st set I dont recognise, so assume original van ones right? the little code '805' means how many revolutions per mile they expect, and since the vss sender sends 4 pulses per 1 rotation of the speedometer cable thats how I got 3200. MK1/2 Golf mph clocks are either 1540 or 1505, so whatever this speedo came from it wasnt a Golf anyway

2nd set look like it might be from a Golf, but would need a better view of them to confirm exactly what they are

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018