I've been away too long.........

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Candocad, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Candocad Paid Member Paid Member

Vancouver Island, British Columbia. CANADA
    By way of an introduction, I was originally a member of this club before the internet era back in 1985/86 when I proudly owned a 1981 VW Golf GLi Cabriolet in the West London / Berkshire area. I even set up a get together at the Wheatsheaf Pub in Virginia Waters Surrey for the club. The car I owned back then was in Brazilian Bronze (an acquired colour taste even back then in the day) with a 1.6 fuel injected engine and a white hood. It was my first car, so forever a legend in my mind.

I owned it for 4 years in which it saw 3 months on tour in Europe in which my girlfriend and I made to the former Yugoslav Republic via Italy and Corfu and back via Austria, Germany and Denmark. I serviced it in Corfu, under a reed car canopy attached to a beautiful ocean front villa whilst drinking the local wine (okay after the 3rd glass) and eating anchovies + local olives in oil. Great memories with this car.

So why am I back..........?

I now live in British Columbia, Canada, more specifically Vancouver Island, and my youngest son has inherited a strange love of all things Volkswagen, to such a degree he has bought, from his own labours at the age of 15, a 1992 Golf Cabriolet. It's a 1.8L 112 PS (82 kW) in LK5T Inca Blue with a black hood. (For those in the UK, you normally get 70% of the colours the key European countries get, in North America, its 30% at best.) So a rare colour for this part of the world) and quite a nice one we think. It has 155,000 kms on the clock, (under a 100,000 miles) from 4 previous owners and is a Canadian car from Vancouver BC so no evidence of any significant corrosion, original hood in poor condition and in need of some TLC. (Unfortunately every body panel has a scratch or a small ding / dent!)

It's basically a VW Golf Clipper, with window winders and some horrible side indicators (a US ploy to make European cars of the day less desirable / saleable). It is lovely and has brought back a lot of great memories from my early 20's. (Nothing like living vicariously through your kids!)

The goal is a complete renovation, some minor mods, but mainly stock replacements and to have a very tidy, super desirable Golf Cabriolet that will be fun to own, drive and to work on! (Honeymoon days again currently).

Great to be back again, after a 30+ years absence from the community.

Candocad.

Mk2daz and Sirguydo like this.
  2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome!!

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hello and welcome back :thumbup:

4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Welcome back

5. mk2redvr6 Forum Member

Welcome dude

6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hello and welcome.

7. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

8. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello & Greetings from the next province over (Alberta)