J131 GHG 1991 GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Barn.mk2, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Barn.mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Thought I'd start a build thread on here of my 1991 Pearl Grey 8v GTI. I bought it in February 2017 when I was 18 as my daily driver. I daily drove it for two years before I couldn't face driving it through winter, so it became my weekend car.
    Going to try and start the thread when I first got it, then bring it up to date.

IMG-1960.jpg

IMG-1970.jpg

IMG-1967.jpg

IMG-1971.jpg

IMG-1972.jpg

Can't work out if the pictures will work or not, fingers crossed.

These pictures were taken on the day I bought the car. I'd been looking for a mk2 gti for a few months and this one popped up 10 mins from me, meant to be I think. As you can see it was fairly original and straight, so a deal was done and it came home with me. It had 135k on the clock and came with its original bill of sale which was cool. 12k new with the only optional extra being the bbs ra's at a cost of £500.

Will be posting the same thread on the mk2 owners page so some might see it twice, apologies.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2023
    Zender Z20 likes this.
  2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello!

Someone'll confirm it but I think either paid membership or when you get to over 10 posts will allow you to upload ( I was scratching my head too when I joined, hopefully knowing it will save you having to replace the keyboard you were beginning to type harder and harder onto!)

3. Barn.mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for the reply, I was trying everything to get the images to work! Will wait for someone to confirm what you have said.

4. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome and look forward to seeing the pics. Maybe an admin might be able to make an exception but believe it is the posting count preventing at the mo.

5. Barn.mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ah I see, guess I'll just have to upload a load of posts.

6. Zender Z20

Tried linking them for you but no go - it's not what's stopping you at the moment but there may sometimes be a glitch when trying to link to some off site hosting platforms, seem to recall RJ having to tweak previous posts for others because of it... then again I just may be talking bo***cks!

7. Zender Z20

8. Zender Z20

Just saved / uploaded them instead - first one's free, then I start charging...

9. Barn.mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

10. Zender Z20

When you've passed the 10 posts you'll be able to upload straight from your device, there's an 'Upload a File' button, but it may be missing / greyed out to you at the moment.

Get posting, but no drivel, that's my job!

11. Zender Z20

... or you could always pony up for membership.

12. Barn.mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Cool cheers for posting the pics for me.

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

after around 10 posts you'll be upgraded to full forum user then you can upload images :)

14. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Lovely mk2... looking forward to the Recaro pics [:D]

15. Barn.mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I've bought the year membership, so once thats sorted I'll carry on with the posts!

16. Barn.mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers, I'll try and catch this up with the other thread so they're at the same point.

17. Barn.mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I've paid for my membership, how long before my account on here will be upgraded to a full member so I can post pics?

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I'll be getting to the membership backlog this week :)

19. Barn.mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Now that I can post pics I shall continue with the thread.

I didn't do that much in the first couple of years, the usually maintenance with daily driving a 30 year old car. Although I did a few modifications to improve the car.
    The first thing was a milltek classic system from the downpipe back as the mild steel one on the car was blowing badly. Yes these systems are expensive, but in my opinion they look the best and the quality is top notch. For some reason I never took any photos when fitting it so have a pic from the 2018 National Meet.

F4E0C732-8E20-4311-A562-96E7F93A3FA7.jpeg

Next up was suspension, the car still had its original set up and it was tired to say the least. Floaty round the corners, plus it looked like a monster truck. I opted for bilstein shocks and eibach 35mm lowering springs as my budget couldn't stretch to decent coilovers. I remember fitting these in the pouring rain! Worth it though, the driving experience was massively improved and the stance was perfect.

DB2E5F0F-D299-4E87-AAE3-DCFEC8805C1D.jpeg
    9F4CE841-BCBE-4AAB-B1B4-74BFD430816B.jpeg

My mate made me an aluminium gear knob the same style as the original golf ball and to go with this I bought the uprated gear linkage kit from gas n gears, a really nice bit of kit. Didn't take long to fit either and I replaced the worn bushes while I was at it. The result was a very crisp gear change.

5CDDC227-83BD-4DCF-BE7A-7F82A5FD1ECC.jpeg
    99DD59AC-933D-42FF-A0A4-C408848EED80.jpeg

Steffen likes this.
  20. Skool New Member

Fair play mate, having a Mk2 at 18 in this day and age!

What’s the plans for it?