Just about the cheapest mod you`ll see... *Update - Now with added boost*

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by StuMc, Oct 16, 2010.

1. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Just about what goes through your mind during any modification, surely! :lol: :lol:

I`ll see if ourkid can lend me his slide hammer, then I`ll back-to-back test both methods. :thumbup:

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A quick update on this mod. Takes a while to appreciate the difference - a quick drive round the block not enough.

But once the feel of it is worked out, it's amazing especially for less than a pint! Rips through the gears much quicker than before, making it a much peakier diesel off a standing start, and into wheelspin as it peaks.

On the the motorway, it's really useful for managing space, getting places you can't get normally from 90 brake. Just spot where you want to be, twist, and go. Up a hill, brilliant, pulls 10 mph more.

I just think of it as an overtaking switch - then switching off again. Also out of junctions it's much sharper, rather than the lethargic get away that this one (at least) has always had.

I've been chasing a boost leak for a while which has stopped me dynoing it, which I think is the N75 valve on the way out, as it's starting now to behave like a previous one that went faulty. Once that's fixed, and proven, I'll get it on the dyno to see what the real differences are. As the chugger's been on the same dyno before, there's a baseline already, so a another base run can check nothing's changed and then onto testing the mod. It'll probably be tested at two switch settings, 120 degrees on the knob and 240. Any info worth getting?

I'm still running with the resistor btw, as I only shorted it with a key once whilst parked and stalled it !

3. StuMc

Good stuff! :thumbup:

I use it mainly for overtaking and quick M-way boosts too.

I find it particularly useful for dispatching lights-ablaze Beemers...you know the ones...when you`re in lane three, trapping along along they want to go 3mph faster, but you can`t move left, so they try and barge you out of the way. Switch on. Boot down. Beemer disappears...into the distance, and behind a black cloud! :lol:

TLGP and roundabout-exiting lairyness assured also. [:D]

And if you`re having trouble with your N75, do what I`ve done, and ditch it in favour of a `boost tee`.

Keeping physically in place, and plugged in to prevent fault codes, but use the blue and red boost lines it has for the boost tee.

Even with the switch off I`ve got the boost up at 18psi for a little extra pep all the time. With the switch on it`s up to 22-23psi. ;)

That`s fine in the first three gears, since it`s not sustained long enough for the ECU to call an overboost foul. It will in fourth or fifth if sustained until 3000rpm (or for around 15-20secs if above that) but as above I use it mainly in 2nd and 3rd, so not much of an issue.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  4. aidanb22 Forum Member

Stu be careful with that boost, thats way over the turbo's limit. Mine blew, and yet I could drive it the exact way you say, lower gears ok, higher gears limp mode.

Mine was due to disconnected line to N75 though, and lasted maybe a couple of weeks. By 'blew' above, I mean using excess oil and noticeable play. I actually drove it to Bristol and back like that with no breakdown, not a pleasant journey

5. StuMc

Yeah, I know I`m playing with fire at those levels, but I fancy giving it a last `hoorah` before going for a turbo upgrade.

Just had a jaunt to Glasgow and back, and there were a couple of limp-mode moments at the start of the journey, that seemed to resolve itself later. Possibly a boost leak somewhere I reckon, but I am planning a turbo inspection shortly to see how it`s fairing, since there has been a noticable increase in oil consumption, but by the evidence on my drive I reckon it`s actually coming from the breather pipe that I thought I hadn`t cracked during the failed injector swap... [:$]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

upgrade eh?

see if you can hack a manifold together to fit the blower from a 2.5 V6 TDI.

so much torque itll twist the shassey etc

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Mine strangely doesn't seem to do black clouds... yet it's almost expected.. [:s]

I wonder about testing it without the resistor (idle test only so far).

8. StuMc

I didn`t notice much smoke until I fitted the DTM-style upswept exhaust... :lol:

9. rslrallye Forum Member

will be doing this ;)

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Further running report on this mod. For what it cost (~3.50), the gain is ridiculous.

Someday it'll be dynoed to put it up for all to see, but the minute I get in the car, I know whether the switch is on or off. So when I want a bit more shove up a hill, or am manouevring round town and want some throttle response out of a junction, on goes the switch.

The tuning box boys are just robbers now, simple as!

M3s and shizzle come with multiple engine map settings, but with the needle round to 11, the dual-map 1Z smoker is not to be sniffed at :p Specially if you're behind :lol: :thumbup:

11. danster Forum Addict

Yeah, but what boost does it make?

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Good point and reminder, I will look for that gauage now [:$]

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Found at first attempt, sitting in the kitchen parts depot!

On test tomorrow!

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Fit it upside down for that authentic diseasel look, and a few sparks off the road surface :lol:

15. Seatman Forum Member

So what's happening with this madness now? Where is everyone? I have the bigger holes and a vnt but I want more, that grass over there looks lush lol [:D]

16. StuMc

The madness that was the Red Peril ended up with a screwed fuel pump (cause unknown...!), and the car was weighed in for the princely sum of 130...a little under half what I'd paid for it two years previous! ;)