K03/K03s Mk1 1.8t down pipes

Discussion in 'Trackslag.com' started by 3hirty8ight, Jan 8, 2013.

1. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Hi guys, any plans to do these? :)

2. Admin Guest

3. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

Amen, lol
    I have had some ideas for this whilst we've been sorting the K04 fitment out. If we were to do the K03 version we would have to make some kind of shield to go with it. We haven't mocked anything up yet but it's looking like a possibility.
    We will be looking at these when we've done the MK1 exhaust systems...:) I can feel a thread coming on!
    We'll be starting those in the middle of next month.

4. Trackslag

Thread revival. Now that the Mk1 exhaust systems are ready for shipping we're going to have another look at this one.
    As mentioned previously, the transverse turbo setup points the flange/nozzle area at the steering boot and bulkhead. It is far from ideal so we're going to have to come up with a solution.
    I believe that the use of the longitudinal turbo setup could be an idea. I'm struggling to come up with any negatives about this approach. Has anyone done it already?
    I've linked this picture in from the 1.8t forum on the Vortex to show what I'm thinking (Thanks 1303 GTI :thumbup:) Imagine that mounted transversely in a Mk1
    [​IMG]

5. Admin Guest

the only issue is that most people will be running the stock transverse set up, might not be willing to swap over.

that and the turbo sat on driverside might not fit?

6. Trackslag

It's crossed my mind quite a few times but it seems so obvious that it should have been ruled out ages ago. It would be really handy if someone had the bits laying around to see if this has any mileage....lol
    I do have another idea to accomodate the transverse setup but the longitudinal setup would work better, if there's clearance for the intake.

7. benthejettaman Forum Member

any more news on these

8. Trackslag

Well... funny you should ask!
    We're trying to make some headway with the idea of the longitudinal setup. It just makes so much more sense.
    I'm trying to get a thread going on the MK1 owners club, but I'll do the same here if we can get people involved?
    I'm after some pictures to illustrate what I mean when I say that the transverse setup has shortfalls. I'm sure that I've seen some pictures of a car that's already running a longitudinal setup and from memory, it looked great!

What I'm trying to avoid is producing a load of downpipes which will gather dust on the shelf because no one wants to accept that the current transverse setup isn't the best for the mk1.

If we can make some progress with this and get some pre-orders, there'll be a bit of deal on the first batch :)

benthejettaman likes this.
  9. benthejettaman Forum Member

whats the problem with longitudinal set up then? as other manufacturers sell them for this setup

10. Trackslag

Just to clarify, Ben, did you mean to say "what's the problem transverse setup"? :)

11. benthejettaman Forum Member

oops yes lol

12. Trackslag

Thought so, lol.
    If you look the ko3 transverse setup in the Mk1 bay, there's just no room to do anything with the pipework. So, without moving something else to make room, there is always going to be a compromise.