KR Corrado engine mods?

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by watercooled, Sep 27, 2013.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Have been studying up and searched around but most 16v info is for the 2 litre,have purchased spare head for my motor and plan a clean up of casting and match porting,3 angle valve job new guides as required and seals.
    My present engine is heathy besides a few tidy up jobs as in oil leaks and some small air leaks.
    Could anyone advise a way of moving the torque down a bit,cams or cam maybe?,please don't mention abf block as they are hard to find in my part of our country,I haven't discounted this idea as appearently the 2e and 3a blocks aren't that suitable,(shame as I have good 2e block).
    Please bear with a 16v newbie if you have any idea's,thanks.

2. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

capacity helps with torque. Some popular engines were 1900 that kept the standard bottom end and ran 83 or 83.5mm pistons

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the 2e block could be used if you sourced a number of parts, the pistons you'll need abf ones but the crank and rods can be kept. you'll need to swap the timing belt sprockets over from the kr block too.
    you'll also need an ABF or 9a intermediate shaft and oil pump, but you may be able to use the 2E oil pump with the kr drive shaft fitted? (2.0 pump is beefier than 1.8)

only thing is the 2e block has no crank sensor hole so you cant use ABF managemnt, but the KR stuff could be used or megasquirt, or fit crank sensor bracket and modded waterpump pulley or polo crank sensor flange on gearbox end

MonkeyDog likes this.
  4. gingernuts Forum Member

You could overbore it to increase capacity, using aftermarket pistons which Id imagine youll have an easier job of getting hold of.

What about a deisel crank jonny? Am I miles off thinking that would stoke it to 2l (just got a funny feeling I heard something along those lines when I was looking at going 2l.

Either that or get someone from over here to send you an abf over if you are that desperate but Id imagine there are far cheaper options before you get to that point.

When I built my race 16v, I used rally cams which brought the torque down in the range, as I was going to hilllclimb the car.

5. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks John ,happy to look @ using the 2e block I have and would freshen that up,has 120,000km before cambelt tentioner failure (thanks to a good buy ?) from a so called mate I bought the car off ,80% sure it has bent valves but who cares as the head won't be used,think I could find the ABF pistons and would do dijifant conversion as I love and hate this system lol,would most likely use the 2e loom and computer as they will work with with an 2E/ABA chip? please correct me if I'am wrong,have all the details on my lappy hardrive.
    Thanks gingernuts but not keen on overbore due to piston prices,I like to use up bits I have already and besides I want all work on the corrado reversible so I would be keen to keep the original 1.8kr,funny you talked about importing a motor?in our country we are short of gearboxes as a huge amount of import cars from Japan are auto's ,a used 02j sells for around 400-500pounds (your money) approx and a six speed ??? last one I say was 1500 pounds but don't think it will sell:thumbd:
    Can anyone shed some light on using the ABF inlet cam in the kr head,I presume this moves the torque down a touch?,cheers guys.

6. watercooled Forum Member

Sorry missed your reply,have done an Audi 3a with worked RV head etc into 87 mk2 k-jet,rubjonny helped me with the electrics,what a motor ,funny had a few knockers until they went for a spin,still have this car ,pulls like a tractor and still ramping @ 6500rpm with TT 268 street cam and their cam chip.
    In short cubes rule for torque,too many people look @ horsepower:thumbup: ,thanks.

7. murph81 Forum Member

Any interest in a set of Autotech cams?

8. gingernuts Forum Member

If you use the search function there are bags of threads with some great info from toyotec on various oe cams in defferent engines.

The newman 288 rally cams I used werent too expensive and I didnt change much else apart from decking the block slightly to raise compression. I think techtonics over your neck of the woods have a good range of cams do they not.

Regards importing stuff I would be happy to send stuff over but its Export/import taxes that usually kill it. Unless you find someone who aready has a car going over or a container.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you were going to convert the lump with abf pistons i would try to get the oem abf injection on it as well, will be so much better than 8v stuff messed about with to work in my book. the main stumbling block is the crank sensor but as i say can either go for polo crank mounted one or fit some kind of bracket on the pulley end, plenty have done this on abfs even as on high revving applications the trigger wheels have been known to fail. or you could go with megasquirt instead, much more flexible it can be made to work without a crank sensor and endlessly tuneable :thumbup:

if you're set on the 8v stuff check out the vortex they'll have a lot more info on it as they didnt get the ABF over there so have to improvise when going EFI :lol:

10. watercooled Forum Member

Yes found a US thread on the 8v 2litre block being used,as you have already pointed out fairly involved,may just put the feelers out for and ABF block locally,just seems like making a lot of extra work for myself.
    I do have a complete KR head that only needs guide seals and a tidy up so really it makes sense.

11. watercooled Forum Member

On to an ABF block or the seller may want to sell the longblock only,things are looking up will update,cheers.