Lightweight Battery, 2016 version

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mat-mk3, Jun 13, 2016.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I have started a new thread on this for up to date information.
    So the battery in my MK5 build is the factory fit and it's pretty much dead now. I only charged it last week and it's dead already when it's been left not doing anything!

Looking around there seems to be more choice these days with different brands and technology. There is also Lithium but i think thats a bit expensive for me!
    The standard battery is 70Ah and some people have fitted some as low as 15Ah to these. However they only last about a week before going flat, Thats with the battery connected. How long do you think one would last disconnected?
    Are people still fitting the varley red top batteries? I plan to keep it in the front if i fit a lightweight one, In the rear if i go for a standard one thats about 20kg.

Cheers
    Mat :thumbup:

2. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

I've a golf cart battery on the r32...... I have gone 6 months periods with it disconnected, seems to start it fine
    Although I have had a situation where I have come home with the interior fans on, highbeams on, engine cooling fans on. Switched car off- and then had to jump it the next morning....

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

At Autosports, the one I was most impressed with was Alliant. not cheap, mind. Lithium seems the way to go, for reliability, durability and power.

4. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

A classic car battery can use only 30% of its capacity.... once below 70% its dead, while a Lithium battery can use its 100 % ... a 9 - 10 Ah lithium battery will be as strong as a 30 Ah battery..... and weight less than 2 kg

5. Notso Swift Forum Member

I use a lithium, ideal for race cars, they are on another plannet for AH and CCA compared to the old tech
    Beware of recharging the lithium though, melting and fire can ensue if you over charge!
    (Just ask Boeing in the 787 Dreamliner...)
    A smart charger for bench charging and a good regulator for in car will solve that, just be aware

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

7. mat-mk3

Thanks everyone, Great answers.

This was my concern with a lithium. Would the standard alternator damage it in any way? I know they can also be a bit explosive. Do you need any extra protection for them? If it was lithium i think i would keep it in the engine bay.
    I have a couple of Ctek chargers but not sure if they will work on the new technology.

Worst website i have seen in a long time but good prices! lol

8. mat-mk3

9. Tristan

According to Alliant ,a standard alternator with voltage regulator of 14.3 or less was fine.

10. Notso Swift Forum Member

I think if your regulator is good you will be OK

CTek are very good reputation so I expect they are OK, my mistake was an old style charger that doesn't adjust the amperage through the cycle like the CTek do

I should also add I have one on my Scooter, which is used pretty much every day, so not just the race car that is started every couple of months

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  11. mat-mk3

Thanks guys. I have sent Braille a message asking what they recommend for my car. My CTek chargers are quite old, 6-8 years maybe as one of them was used on my old mans 911 which he sold years ago. The other I only found yesterday which is newer and a much larger model. I will have to look at them.

It's difficult to compare the standard 60-70Ah battery to a lithium as they specs just don't match up. Everything is a lot lower so it's a bit of a shot in the dark really. I have no doubt that they won't work, but how long they last will be the key, and not costing a fortune or I would just stick a small bike/lawn mower one on instead.

12. mat-mk3

These seem to be the top 2 here in the UK.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/batteries/varley-lithium-li-5-battery

http://www.racingbatteries.co.uk/in...ing-batteries/product/3-rbf400-racing-battery

They both are around 250 which is the maximum i want to pay. However is it worth me going down this route? I could get a normal lightweight racing battery for about 130 which is quite a saving and not have to worry about it apart from charging now and again with several chargers i already own. If i went the lithium route i would need to purchase a new charger also which is at least 50-80.

Cost wise it just doesnt make sense to me at the moment. The difference is only a few KG between them.

Edit. Just came across this one which is strange as i didnt find anything in google. Better specs than the other two!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aliant-Li...301269?hash=item4d3072a415:g:lF0AAOSwQItT42OC

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  13. Tristan

I did mention Aliant above....

mat-mk3 likes this.
  14. mat-mk3

Yes, after you mentioned them I googled it and couldn't find anything. I have now found their website but it's really slow so it might have been why I gave up looking.

It has very good specs though! Thanks for suggesting them

15. Notso Swift Forum Member

The one in my race car was actually specified for a Harley, it turns over a high compression V6 really easily (I admit that there is a reasonable amount of overlap, so it probably isn't that high dynamically)