Loose/Worn Fuseholder

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by costel1969, Sep 5, 2019.

1. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Folks,
    Quick question - whilst I was checking over my 8v, I did notice that the indicators would stop working (hazards OK) but they would not respond from the stalk.

Turns out that the indicator circuit fuse holder on the fuse board seems to be dodgy/worn/loose.

Other than a complete swop of the fuse board has anyone come up with an easier fix? To me taking the board apart could result in a rapid launching of links/bars/connections and the mother of all ball-aches.

Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2 options, replace fusebox or open fusebox and inspect

well 3, you could re-wire the hazard switch wiring to use a different ignition live but I wouldnt recommend that

opening the fusebox isnt too scary theres nothing spring loaded inside so its just a case of work carefully to ensure everything goes back in the same way it came out. Then you just decide if its worth repairing or if its too far gone and needs replacement.

if you have CE2 I woudlnt even bother just go mk3 golf hunting, you can also find them in caddy vans plus early 6n polo and also polo saloon/estate up to 2000 ish

3. costel1969

Cheers RJ - I have CE2 from the 16v already so I might as well use it. In terms of fusing/circuitry/relays etc. is it just a straight swop of the 16v board to the 8v one? Are there extra circuits on the 16v in comparison to the 8v or is it pretty much the same?

4. rubjonny

base fusebox is identical for all ce2 models, so just a case of swap over whats different from old fusebox to new :)

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

If you take John's advice, and get one out of a 6n or similar, you'd get the "lights on" buzzer too.

6. costel1969

Won't have the time for scrapyard as I'm only going back for a week after that it's another 12 months before I'm back - won't have to worry about lights on as I only get to drive the cars 2-3 weeks max every year.
    RJ/Tristan - regarding the larger connectors at the back of the board - is it the same story with those when swopping 16v unit to 8v - what I mean it's the same connector size, position and location - I will take pics anyways but I want to make sure I avoid any short/heat/fire related issues when I do it.

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

8. costel1969

Holy moly - mighty stuff chaps

Tristan likes this.
  9. rubjonny

yeah its impossible to go wrong unless you destroy your plugs trying to get them out. handy hint, there is a lock bar which runs across the back in the middle. click the tab out to the right to release it. see new fusebox for details ;)

with lights on 36 relay that only works if you add a couple extra wires on the rear loom, there may be another type which plugs right in and works with standard mk2 wiring but dont know of any off hand

10. costel1969

Cheers RJ Top Notch as always :thumbup:

11. davidut5 Forum Member

Had a problem with blower motor fuse after adding AC with the mk3 blower motor. The old fuse had plastic in the middle witch melted then got poor contact. Was a pain to remove the old melted fuse. Put on new style spade fuse, still working.
    Had this problem on mine and my brothers (a rust bucket fully restored tdi close to 180hp), wish i had 180hp on my driver!:)

12. costel1969

From what I can see it's not melted or doesn't look like it's been overloaded but for some reason the bugger isn't snug in there.

13. rubjonny

sounds like fuse terminals worn/bent inside, possibly an easy fix once fusebox split but these are so common not really worth the bother. can always open it up once you've replaced it

14. costel1969

That's the plan RJ a bit of good old swoptronics first and then I can go CSI Vegas on the other one