Luke's 86 Mk2 GTI KJET

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by luke_mk1, Aug 5, 2012.

1. luke_mk1 New Member

Picked this little number up cheap, with a blown matrix (supposignly)
    Type19
    1.8 8V Kjet

Full Stainless
    K&N Panel Filter
    Koni Adjustable suspension...

Once we had it towed from where it was to a mates unit, started straight away with ripping the dash out to get at the matrix easier
    A mate laid into the clocks... i just watched and did a little ;D
    Got the dash out, and swapped the matrix to a new one...
    [​IMG]

OLD Matrix ;)
    [​IMG]

And nearly back in, at this point we called it a day...
    [​IMG]

And decided to get it running, A mate had serviced the golf while we were busy doing the matrix... got it running sounded sweet... took it for a run and a coolant pipe blew,,, along with the rad... spitting oily water out... so assuming the headgasket has gone we cleaned up...
    [​IMG]

Another weekend came...

Moved the golf out the way
    [​IMG]

And got this bag of **** out
    [​IMG]

And fitted the rest of the dash and gave it a clean
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And squeezed it in
    [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And onto another weekend of hassle and determination...

Fitted a second rad after the old one had damage, along with the hose which blew under pressure... Flushed the coolant system through and filled it up, turned it over after say 5 minutes we were back to the oil in the expansion tank, so no messing around we got stripping...

Took a few pictures of how it looked for reference,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rocker cover off
    [​IMG]

KJEt fuel lines order
    [​IMG]

Not far till its off
    [​IMG]

Cam etc
    [​IMG]

Manifolds on mk2s are righttt *****
    [​IMG]

And the heads oooof
    [​IMG]

So abandoned the car and since then its been sat in my bedroom

Oh and how we left the golf
    [​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately no pictures after this point as my iPhone is broke, but just a small story :)

We got the head back on about 3 weeks ago now, with just the KJET system left to whip in along with some sensors...

Last weekend we got all this done, flushed the system, and was ready to fire... at first the firing order wasnt quite right so once this was sorted, nev fired up... left to run about 10 minute with the flush, to clear any crap from the system.

Drained the flush and filled with oil, and started and left to warm up, untill sppoge started coming out again so it was off, and drained... and called a day with the intention of getting a new oil cooler.

A mate sourced a second hand and a new oil cooler in the week, and yesterday we fitted the second hand one first. Once fitted, think we rushed in turning it over, and where as we should have flushed everything proper, we didnt, we just wacked oil in and went away...

This started with some spooge again, so we shut off and drained everything, cleared the expansion tank, rad, and all hoses, and flushed the system again.

Started him up with the flush in and we have no spooge coming through, there isnt any oil, just flush so wether or not its due to this, but next Saturday we will drain whats in the car and refill all fluids, and see how we get on.

If spooge continues to come out, Nev's getting a new engine.

So yesterday, we were determined to get this sorted, and we did [:D] no need for a new engine just yet...

Dropped the flush from it, and filled with oil, and water... and flushed the water system through again....
    Started him up, and everything seemed okay, little missfire which was sorted... due to some dodgy brand new Bosch Super 4 plugs :( (waste of money) and a tweak of the timing...
    Took for a slow drive and then given some death, by us all....
    And well?
    Running spot on now...

MOT time i guess? Got a few things to sort for the MOT a small list, but ill hopefully have some pictures next week (IF i get my Iphone back [:D])

2. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Fingers crossed for the MOT then.

3. G2T

G2T Forum Member

Interesting that this car has a roundel in the rear panel, as a type 19 kjet car with quarterlight doors, it shouldn`t! Looks nice and solid, really like a grey mk2.

4. Joe16v Forum Member

Looks really nice. I like the colour. Not atlas grey is it?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

maybe its had a rear ender at some point, or someone just fancied an upgrade!

6. luke_mk1 New Member

I think its had a rear ender, the boot floor seems to new and rust free, as does the bottom panel, it will be smoothed and early badges re-added...

Not sure which grey it is, been to concentrated on sorting it ready for mot...

Got the final bits done on Sunday,

Re-wired the horn and now all 4 buttons work
    Re-wired the front lights
    Re-connected the speedo drive
    Plumbed in the washer jets and freed the jets
    Checked the car throughout for severe rust

Took it for a 5 minute run, for fuel, seems okay, about an hour later when testing the speedo, it started struggling for fuel, and since next week is MOT, im going to get a relay 62 for the fuel pump fit that along with a new fuel filter we have, and then if fuel is struggling a new pump, and the mot cancelled

No pictures as of yet due to the fact it looks how it is

7. luke_mk1 New Member

Well been a while, but the golf was fully running, few fueling issues which were sorted.

Sorted a few issues for the MOT, and got it back home, and ready to go for MOT when i was paid....

Car went in Thursday, failed on 9 things....
    Few stupid issues like headlamp aim and direction of my indicator and washer fluid - forgot to refil...
    but the main ones, were leaking fuel at the union after the filter, front spring had fractured, steering was rough? and my backbox wasnt quite on properly...

Friday
    Got a call from the garage saying Nev was all sorted and ready to be picked up. Biggest smile on my face in a while, taxed him instantly and filled the tank.

Driving around as you do, trip to go see a band, and i have a coolant hose pop while doing 70, by the time the car told me it had overheated as i couldnt see steam/smoke due to spray, assume its too late, car instantly lost power and free wheeled to a safe place.

The coolant pipe at the oil pump had blew so did a quick repair, fetched some water from a garage, and tried to start Nev. Wasnt having any of it, after about an hour of playing about i rang for recover.

Saturday
    Stripped the plugs from Nev, checked fueling, checked spark all present, wasnt untill i clocked on that the water i was wacking in the expansion was dissapeering, Now 7Litres

pulled the plugs out and cranked Nev over on the ignition, Water literally jetting out of the plug seats.

[:D] NICE! so assuming the head is completly gone, im gonna start collecting parts for a 2L 8V Bottom End, with a 1.8 GTI head, running all the mk2 acclinaries, etc etc
    Also running the original KJET system as i think its OEM.

Anyone got any advice?

8. Jimski New Member

Hi I used to own nev about 10 years ago - what happened to him since the engine died?

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

looks like that was the last MOT as it expired 30th Aug 2013 and it was SORN after that
    Possibly sat in a garage somewhere or scraped

10. Jimski New Member

I saw the same, I then found this thread - it was good to see it still going but I hope it's not in the scrap yard in the sky. It's the only car I regret selling!