Management for a polo 16v

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by heg123, Jan 5, 2012.

1. heg123 Forum Member

Hello.

Im looking at getting a standalone managment system for my rally car its running a
    1.4 16v AFH engine.

this engine runs with a distributor and hall sender in the dizzy and no crank sensor.

the engine is currently on bike carbs which work fine but i need a managmenst system that can controll the ignition only to start with but can controlling fuel if in the future i decide to move to throttle boddies.

are there any out there which can use the hall sender as a trigger and not a crank sensor?

Thanks

Hywel.

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Megasquirt :)

3. heg123 Forum Member

I have been told some bad things about Megasquirt systems. like not being reliable and that rolling roads when tunning them feel they cant get the best out of the engine?

what do you think of it?

4. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Mine is used daily & has been for approx 2 years. Never missed a beat. I have dabbled with Motec and Dta but I prefer MS. I find Megasquirt to have the features of more expensive units, which also means more features than similar priced units.

I have had a few folk say to me they have heard bad things, but it has often been (& was last time) out of the mouth of someone who would have trouble sourcing and plugging an interface cable in, let alone map the unit.

My Megasquirt has run speed density with & without TPS on a single throttle setup, and has also ran alphaN on throttle bodies. Took only a single evening to get throttles running from a blank fuel table to a good road calibration with smooth idle, perfectly drivable part load, and superb wide open throttle.
    With this in mind only a short while on the dyno would be required if we really wanted to get the best out of it.

As MS allows you to live map, I think the dyno operators may simply be unfamiliar with the system. It is afterall just another tool to tune fuel & spark

5. heg123 Forum Member

thanks for the reply. I have never played with any kind of managment before so very much in the dark. trying to get as much knowledge as i can so i dont make costly mistakes.

so it would run fine using the hall sender in the dizzy and no crank sensor?

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If you are asking a general engine control question then you would get more answers in the appropiate section.

If you want a turn key solution for your application and cannot be bothered about the tuning aspects and are happy to pay someone , Bill (Badger 5) can sort you with a solution.

HTH.

7. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yep as above - this is Badger5's trade enquiry section, so if it's not specifically aimed towards him then perhaps I can move it to the ECU section if you like. And / or leave a duplicate post here if you'd like him to respond specifically.

8. heg123 Forum Member

the original point of the post was to see what badger 5 could supply for my application. but a duplicate on the ECU section would be handy aswell. Thanks.

9. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

S40 DTA is what I would use...