Mk1 Audi TT front suspension

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by Mk2Singh, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi All

Id like to refresh the front suspension setup on my 2004 225 quattro
    I recently did the rear end including bushes and will probably go down the same route for the front

I had asked Audi to clarify the part numbers for the shock and spring for my car and they gave me these after I gave them my reg:
    Shock - 8N0413031K
    Spring - 8N0411105D

Ive been looking for a Monroe replacement for the shock but struggling to find the exact same part number which includes the "K" on the end but most dont state it with compatibility. I replaced the rear with a new Monroe shock and would like to use the same brand for the front. I saw the MONROE 742043SP on their website which says its correct for my car from my VIN but the exact part number isnt shown in the list. Can anyone confirm this?

I checked my springs and they have 1 red and 3 grey dots. Was looking to get TRW JCS876 springs to keep with the new ones I fitted on the rear but again the part number with the "D" on the end isnt listed but seem to come up when I search with registration

Ill also go ahead and replace the top mount and bump stop. I think i will buy new Lemforder wishbones with the new bushes already installed and get a new ball joint. New ARB bushes and drop links and also new tie rod ends.

Is there anything else I should change while im there or ive missed of the list?
    Should I do the hub bearings if im going to be disconnecting everything from the carrier?

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I don't know if you've already done this, but my A3 8L has just broken a front spring so I wouldn't delay. There appears to be 34 OEM front wheel drive front spring variations. SACHS provide 2 that don't match my OEM number. Via TRW's listings I found the difference to be Auto or Manual only.

As far as refreshing goes I'm just a bit concerned new standard springs + top mounts will dramatically open the arch gap to the point where lowering springs will be required for it to look as it was previously. A bit like on the Mk2 Golf.

3. Finite

I've found this to be a bit of a nightmare with replacements/substitutions from VAG and the aftermarket. This is what I used searching for springs.

Starting with the SACHS webcat

https://webcat.zf.com/index.asp?country=GB&SPR=4

Advanced search>8N0411105D brings up SACHS 998 442

Diameter [mm]: 12,6
    Length: 307 mm
    Outer diameter: 144 mm

The TRW cat has no listing for 8N0411105D
    JCS876 comes up on the listing for 8N0411105E and its 7mm longer.

Thickness [mm]: 12,6
    Length [mm]: 314
    Outer diameter 1 [mm]: 144

KYB on 8N0411105D has the RH3247 and whilst still available it states 'Article to be discontinued'
    A bit thicker and shorter than the SACHS.

Thickness 12,8 mm
    Outer diameter 146 mm
    Length 302 mm

4. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi,

I just checked on that site but just entering my car details instead of the part number and it suggested:
    Sachs 998 443
    TRW JCS876

These both have the same dimensions

But when searching for 8N0411105D gives me the shorter one like it did for you

Not sure which one to go with

5. Finite

I have the same issue with my A3, but the choice is more marked. By car the only springs are automatic or manual gearbox both standard length.
    1J0411105AD & 1J0411105AA. Unfortunately it seems stockists like ECP have followed this too with no sports springs listed for A3.

Mine are 1J0411105P sports springs up to 45mm shorter than the other part numbers. I get zero results for the rear springs.

6. Finite

With the weather finally permitting I had a go at this today. I found the pinch bolt for the strut to be rusted thin on one side and slightly bent so you might want a replace those plus the nuts if they're not part of any other kit. I bought a 5.5 x 8.2 mm strut clamp spreader tool (VW 3424 clone). It was nice to make one part of the job easier in contrast to hammering the hub down.

The rust at the top of the spring wasn't massively advanced where it snapped, but you'll probably want new spring plates to avoid seeding rust there on the new springs.

EDIT: Seems the bolt is straight. An optical illusion/difficult fit.
    I would also recommend painting lines on the sides of the spreader tool to make it easier to set at 90 degrees. This proved essential for refitting. I needn't of hammered it off as per the typical youtube misguidance.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021