MK1 Cabrio build 2L cross flow + 45 carbs

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jrgibb, Jan 26, 2014.

1. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

I would but loads to do with the car, am hoping to get to a point where I can fire up the engine tomorrow, after almost a year building it. :thumbup:

Will try to get along next time. J

2. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

All the coolant system plumbed in, banjos fitted on the carbs and the fuel pipe fitted along with the fuel regulator. All fitted to the car. New shiny Magnicor leads fitted, starting to look like a real engine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Setup basic wiring to the starter motor to test the starter motor / turn over the engine. Nothing! Starter motor off, bench tested, nothing! Took apart solenoid, bench tested, yes! Back on car . .

MY NEW ENGINE JUST TURNED OVER

(ok - just on the starter motor, but it feels like a good day!)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    gasco likes this.
  3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Well done!...now it needs to go brum!

4. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

It now goes brum ;)

Only the exhaust mani on so noisy, just a quick start up to prove it works - Need to get the ashley mani to a fabricator to get it to fit properly, the angle of the bottom pipe needs to be about 15 degrees down so it can marry up to the system. Plus my battery hardly turns over the engine even after a full overnight charge, its only 350 cca. Guessing the compression is nice and high :thumbup: Had to put on my 2 litre diesel battery to fire it up, and that only just made it!

[video]http://www.type72.com/clubgti/start.mp4[/video]

Update - Manifold with a local fabricator for the necessary fettling and a local tyre company have let me use their ramp on Saturday for an hour for some beer money to get the exhaust back on, failed to mention above that I can't get the car high enough to get the exhaust over the back axle, new 750cca battery on the way as well.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

well done
    Jon

6. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

The Ashley manifold undertaking a few alterations, it now fits.

[​IMG]

mitlom likes this.
  7. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

While your doing the exhaust I'd cut the collector open and check the four pipes are clear and open in to the collector without obstruction. If it's like mine you'll also find that the exhaust pipe protrudes in to the collector too far, this needs cutting off and re welding on without the step. You'll have already sorted the flanges to the down pipes I guess, but if Jason's had the head I guess the exhaust ports will have been fettled a bit. Match the exhaust gaskets to the head first and then bolt it to the exhaust flange and then match the header to the gasket. Repeat with each port. Maybe telling you to suck eggs but there is normally a lot of work to do on an Ashley to get it to work ok.

8. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Oh sorry, forgot to say good thread, keep it up :)

9. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

Tony,

Thanks for the additional info! I've done the flanges, instructions received from J :thumbup:. Originally had a set of the individual gaskets which had nothing showing, got a single piece gasket and these are bigger, lots taken out of all four. J

10. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

Car up in the air today, exhaust fitted - top marks to Staplehurst Tyres (http://www.staplehursttyres.co.uk/) for helping me out! Will need a bit of adjusting to make sure there's no knocks or rattles but it's on and a lot quieter than just the manifold for the neighbours!

Got it home and spent a few hours getting her to start, trying to fire but not quite, lots of help from Mr Hillclimber :thumbup:, established that the ignition was fine (will need fine tuning with the gun to get it bang on)' all firing correctly. Eventually got there, a combination of needing to get the fuel pressure right, a sticking needle / float on one of the carbs (for 1 & 2) and then balancing them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  11. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

Engine running now, a few little problems with the carbs, one of the floats needed a tweak to stop it flooding. Need to wire up a rev counter and get the timing more precise but happy with it now and, if you don't mine me saying so pretty please with myself - I've build my first ever engine!!!

Massive thanks to Mr Hillclimber :thumbup: [:D] :thumbup:

http://youtu.be/DZ0dw7Xk4OU

K7aus likes this.
  12. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Its always a great moment firing up something you have built yourself
    Jon

13. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds good

14. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

- Thanks Jon / K7aus

Wanted to get the timing sorted but needed to get the rev counter up and running, they whole ignition circuit is a temp setup just to run the engine so, I needed to rig up something similar for the instruments so I could set the timing at 1,000 rpm and check it at 5,000 rpm. If anyone interested it's setup as follows;

Connected the T14 connector to the instruments (speedo, rev counter cluster);

2 - Brn to Earth
    5 - Red / Black to coil pin 1
    6 - prem live to battery +
    14 - Ign live to battery +

This got the rev counter going, set the timing to 8 degrees off TDC (it was about 10 in the above video), tightened up the dizzy and run it up to 5,000 rpm and bang on the money at 28 degrees, picks up really nice now;

http://youtu.be/J4xWI-NP43Q

On a side note, you know when you decide to do something early on in a project and think, that'll not be that complicated . . . . . .

[​IMG]

With just the carbs a lot of this will be going in the bin, plus I've decided to make up my own main instruments in the original housing . . . that'll all come later . . .

Also wrapped the manifold yesterday, need to make up a heat shield for the steering gaiter;

[​IMG]

Just for my own info, building up the outer CV joints

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=138664

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufegAOyRpLg&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    Toyotec likes this.
  15. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Well done J!...its all your spanner twirling so top effort!

My first engine build was a 1275 mini so you've done better than me!

jrgibb likes this.
  16. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

We'll more progress. After a bit of a disaster with rebuilding the inner cv joints, I built them wrong small lug on the inner race against small lug on the outer race so there was hardly any movement. Put the long shaft on and when I tightened it up it open up the seal on the gearbox flange. That was a real " toys out the pram" moment. Was ready to jack it all in for a few minutes!

Another day . . . . . so shafts all off, all made up properly, re packed, new gaiters etc and fitted (again) and looks like the seal is holding, will keep an eye on it. Front brake pipes make up and all fitted so the brakes are ready for fluid and bleeding.

Tidied up the bay, fitted the coil and modulator on the scuttle and tidied up the wiring, fitted the clutch cable, so bleed brakes, fit throttle cable, and connect up gear linkage and there'll be a little blip up the road ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  17. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I have built CV's wrong also!
    Live and learn!
    Jon