Mk1 G60 with excessive oil temp?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Tristan, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Hey all, I've been asked to look at a friends mk1 running a G60. Dyno'd at 160 bhp, iirc it has a smaller pulley and a chip, and a cone filter, due to ease of fitment.
    It's running poorly as it warms up, very rich and spluttering on cruise. Which I think is coolant temp related as it's only running in the high 60 degrees.
    I wanted to change the rad fan switch and stat, but the owner says he had to get it running cold as the oil temp is excessive.
    Excessive as in 135-140 indicated on the dial/gauge, even with such a low coolant temp.

Do they heat the oil much more than a N/A? How do you check the actual oil temp? It has the oe water-oil matrix, there's no space up front for an air to oil cooler.

Thoughts, advice and opinions please.

I'm going to start by checking the oil pressure, not just going by the oe gauge.

2. Tristan

The oil temp gauge is lying!! After a spirited run, my IR heat gun showed 80 degrees on the sump and oil filter.

Now, is a G60 thermostat the same as a GTI 8v?

3. blis Forum Member

Tristan, my MK2 1991 with the ABF lied too... Used a temp gun and checked as well.

I purchased a cheap sliding Potentiometer, (resistor) and then put it inline with the Oil temp sensor. Once I setup the MFA temp with the actual oil temp, I measured the resistance and then used a soldered wire splice to put a resistor in line.

Ithink RJ may have a part number for the correct oil temp sensor but Sirguydos idea worked fine for me.

HPR, Tristan and fasteddie like this.
  4. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Not just a Beautiful person .... Smart aswell :thumbup:

5. Tristan

Blis, I had a similar plan, involving trying out my selection of resistors, but nice to know it actually works! Thanks.