Mk1 Golf Dash Lights Permanently On (and other light probs)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by smig1003, Sep 7, 2019.

1. smig1003 Forum Member

I’ve recently had a new issue where my interior dash lights are constantly on, regardless of headlight switch position, and regardless of whether or not the ignition is on?
    The external side lights and main beams operate as expected in the appropriate switch position, however, when I pull back the stalk for the high beam, only the passenger side high beam activates, and the drivers side beam drops into sidelight mode? I swapped the bulbs around and this made no difference?
    When the high beam is selected, the high beam LED on the dash no longer illuminates? Also I cannot hear the relay click (not sure if it did previously).

I’ve checked all fuses and relays, and all appear fine.
    I’ve checked the back of the fuse box and the earth ring, and all seems fine.
    I’ve replaced the headlight switch, which made no difference?

The car is an mk1 Golf ‘83 tintop ‘Driver’.

Can anyone make any suggestions on what I should be checking or any other advice?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a look at the wiring on the back of the headlight switch, in particular the grey/blue wire. this should be fitted to pin 58b, not pin 30. pull the radio out and have a look at the wiring to that and ciggy lighter too, look for any grey/blue wires which have shorted out to red. likewise check behind the fusebox sometimes you have a spare grey/blue wire, make sure thats not been plugged to a permanent live

with main lights, there isnt a relay as standard but you might have heard the flasher switch clicking, if thats not clicking any more get the wheel off and have a look. theres a hook on the indicator stalk that clips over the flasher switch which is actually in the end of the wiper stalk. make sure thats still there and hooked on properly.

the main beam light is connected to fuse #9 which is for the right hand main beam so they could both be related, swap that fuse for another just to be sure as they can develop a hairline crack which is tricky to spot with the naked eye

3. smig1003 Forum Member

Thanks RJ, I’ll take another look