Mk1 Golf Gti not starting (electrical issue?)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Aaron Palmer, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Aaron Palmer New Member

Hi all,

I have tried turning over my MK1 Golf GTi for the first time in a year or so and have nothing!

Since the non-response I have replaced the battery and starter motor (inc solenoid) (albeit not the brass bush at the flywheel) and still have nothing when I turn the key. I can hear the fuel pump priming (although it is basically out of fuel) but there is no sign of the engine turning whatsoever.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hello there, does it crank if you jump the starter terminal direct with 12v? Its the thicker red/black wire you're looking at, it should go to terminal 50 on the starter. While looking make sure the spade is clean

3. Aaron Palmer New Member

Hi there,

I used to use that trick in recent times not long after I replaced the starter motor about 8 years ago (yes, i have just replaced it again as i forgot i had done before). Tries i again this time round and it didn't work, however i was catching other things whilst aiming at the spade terminal, potentially could have shorted/ tripped something?

4. rubjonny

ok, maybe the battery cabling or starter itself. the mk1 earth cable goes to the top of the gearbox bracket which is not ideal since corrosion builds up between them, to rule it out pop a jump lead from battery negative to one of the bolts holding the starter on. If that helps clean/replace the battery negative, if not try same trick from battery live to stud on starter

make sure the engine can be turned with a socket on the crank pulley bolt, and try putting the engine in 3rd gear and rock it back and forth that sometimes frees up jammed starter.

then theres the old 'tap the solenoid with a spanner' trick to free that off if sticky :)

5. Aaron Palmer New Member

The starter and solenoid on there at present are new (recon'd unit)

6. Aaron Palmer New Member

Jumping the starter and she jumps into life immediately and ticks over like a dream.

7. Aaron Palmer New Member

Does leave the small matter of why it wont turn over from the ignition.

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

test light /meter on the wiring ...whats happening when key in crank position , broken wire or ign switch

9. rubjonny

Unplug ignition switch and loop a wire from red to red/black, if it cranks change ignition switch. If not chase ignition wiring looking for any damage or bodgery and repair. Make sure the spade to starter.motor is clean and tight, also often there's a spade plug further up the loom on starter wiring make sure that's good too